curator on 4 Nov 2000 10:27:42 -0000

Re: <nettime> Artists and Industry, Unite!

We would certainly never want to be unreasonable, and so should clarify our
clearly contentious statements for you and Mr. offige/gallery.  Of course if
you check out our wall @ http://www.conceptualart.org/make_art.html we would
have to admit that we did not carve the vinyl to stick on the wall without the
help of a sign making technician.  Certainly artists need the assistance of
engineers (of all sorts) to complete projects, just as engineers need artists
(conceptual and otherwise) to complete their projects.  We are in no way averse
to the beauty of collaboration or even getting help for hire.

BUT

We are averse to the stampede of artists complaining about a lack of access to
the latest equipment and technology when they don't even know what that
equipment and technology is.  If you can afford to get the same idea across
using more accessible equipment you should. If "the IDEA is paramount" (and we
think it is), a lack of access to engineers and fancy equipment should not get
in the way of its expression.

office_gallery@yahoo.com wrote:

>That said, I completely disagree with your suggestion
>that an artist's desire to work with new technology
>should require any amount of expertise, or interest in
>how that technology works.

In closing we would like to respond to office/gallery by suggesting that now
both ideological extremes seem to be covered, while our intent was only to say
the following.

If the idea is that we are going to paint a picture, we will sit down and learn
what we must to prepare for the experience.  When our poorly painted canvas is
hung on the wall we will be criticized for our shallow understanding of the
medium (unless there is a concept clearly illustrated by the piece).

If, on the other hand, the idea is that we will hire someone to do a painting
for us, we are creating a very different piece.  That piece encompasses far
more than just the painting.  That piece also will be rendered more clearly to
our specifications (and -one assumes- more capably) if we have enough
understanding of painting technique (even if only in the abstract) to properly
instruct our collaborator.

Makes one wonder about Sol Lewitt doesn't it?

And as for the conference?  Well there's plenty to say but let's just begin by
mentioning that that Ted Byfield guy is both articulate AND well dressed.

Cheers,

--
curator, conceptualart.org
www.conceptualart.org