Bruce Sterling on 29 Oct 2000 16:05:24 -0000

<nettime> Viridian Note 00205: Weird Vintages of 2000

     [orig To: Viridian List <viridian@fringeware.com>]

Key concepts: privileged lifestyles, wine connoisseurs,
climate, Neologue Contest

Attention Conservation Notice:  Even a little alcohol
can impair judgement, while alcoholism is a serious
illness. Contains reams of hilarious wine-speak.  A whole
lot of Neologue stuff here as well. Over 2,500 words.

(((As bourgeois-bohemian, virtual-intelligentsia
types, we Viridians enjoy a fine California vintage,
whether or not it is solar-powered. (See
Notes 00104, 00109.)  However, even the most febrile
and detached boozing rich-idiot should raise an
eyebrow over the effect of Greenhouse
weather on the vintages of 2000.)))

Source:  http://www.wine.com

"Harvest 2000 Dispatch, Part One: North Coast California
Zinfandel and  Pinot Noir

"The first results of the 2000 Northern California harvest
are in, and  the judges (that is, winemakers) have
pronounced it ... weird! Very  good, in fact, and
potentially excellent. But weird.

   "Things started swimmingly last spring, when a warm,
dry flowering  period was agreeably followed by a moderate
summer (jarred only by a  two-day, 100-degree spike in
June). A scarcity of marine fog, combined with reasonable
air temperatures, bestowed unusual maturity  on the grapes
by late August.

   "Then came the weirdness. Around Labor Day weekend, the
normal kickoff time for harvest, unexpected rainsqualls
disrupted the previously  placid weather. Next came
scorching heat, igniting a furnace under early-ripening
grapes, which started pouring into wineries by the
megaton. (...)

'We've seen more dramatic differences in ripening this
season than we have in 10 years,' reports Kent Rosenblum,
president and director of winemaking at Rosenblum Cellars,
which makes single-vineyard Zinfandel from all over
Northern California. 'Because of the long flowering period
in the spring, we're getting everything from green to very
ripe fruit in the same vineyard. We had to pick
selectively, then come back again in two weeks.'

    "Rosenblum also observes that, 'There's been no rhyme
or reason to the order of things. In a normal harvest,
Contra Costa County (east of San Francisco, bordering on
the Central Valley) grapes would come in first. This year,
Paso Robles (Central Coast) was first, then  northern
Sonoma, and then Contra Costa.' Consistent with such
contrariness, Rosenblum says that, 'some big-name
vineyards are having trouble, but there are also some big
winners. Our Dry Creek and mountaintop vineyards look
great, and Mendocino looks unbelievable. It's also going
to be a magnificent year for white wines == our Viognier,
Roussanne, and Chardonnay are all  looking beautiful.'

   Joel Peterson of Ravenswood agrees that this year's
Mendocino Zins are 'spectacular.' He also concurs that the
customary picking progression was way out of whack, and
that Zinfandel contained 'many more raisins than you'd
normally expect. That means the wines will be high in
alcohol, but the acids and pHs stayed within good bounds,
so they're also well balanced. The colors and flavors are
great; the wines are dark and spicy. Some people are
comparing this vintage to '97, but I think it's more
fruit-forward. In general, it's very successful.'

    "That's only half the story of this eccentric harvest,
though. After the torrid September heat, early October
turned downright wintry: The jet stream dropped a Pacific
storm out of the Gulf of Alaska, bringing yet more rain as
well as record low temperatures. As a result, unpicked
Bordeaux varietals == Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot,  and
Cabernet Franc == came to a ripening standstill in mid-
October.  The extended hang time promised great flavor
development == if the rest of October straightened up and
acted like an autumn we  might recognize.

"Click here:
http://wine1.m0.net/m/s.asp?H2384282932X889348
 to view our selections of California Zinfandel.
"Click here:
http://wine1.m0.net/m/s.asp?H2384282932X889349
to view our selections of California Pinot Noir."

Viridian Neologue Contest
This Contest Ends in Four Days: October 31, 02000

The place to find other Viridian competitions, including
earlier entries in the ever-burgeoning Neologue Contest:
http://www.bomoco.com/Viridian/neologue/neologue.htm

From: AtKisson@aol.com^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*? (Alan AtKisson)

A computer that listens, and knows when you are frustrated
with computer-related technology.  Grunts, moans, "This
damn thing ...", all elicit the immediate response:  "You
are being assimilated."

From: dansmith@lsc.org* (Daniel Smith)

The "Inner Voice" is an outrageously expensive behavior
modification tool that will be used by the Hollywood types
to 'help them find their way.'  An example: the device
would recognize the sound of a match or lighter, and
direct a predetermined response at the would-be smoker.
The responses could range from a gentle, verbal reminder
of the dangers of smoking, to an attention grabbing
coughing fit, to an electric shock.

It could also be used to count the number of times the
fridge opens.

It could pick up on a favorite, but annoying, phrase such
as, "uh, um, well, ya know" or any other habit that
contained a simple verbal clue.

From: zoeluna@bellsouth.net** (Dave Whitlock)

Device#16: During my experiences in the Berkeley riots of
the last decade I noticed an interesting aspect of crowd
mentality. People in the crowd are hyperaware of the mood
of their neighbors and thusly react swiftly to any comment
that draws their attention. Concepts are generated and
conveyed without being attributable to any one person.

Allow me to conjure up a vision of the device we might
build upon this phenomenon: the  CROWD MORALITY BARNACLE.

This would be a device as small as possible, powered by
something as ecofriendly as the piezoelectric quartz
microphone (there is PLENTY of ambient sound at a riot).
The barnacle is programmed to respond to key riot phrases
with other, counter-phrases.
 EXAMPLE : phrase " smash" = result "be careful"
    phrase "burn" = result "it might explode"
    phrase "get them!!" = result "where are the kids?!"

Thousands of cheap, tiny CROWD MORALITY BARNACLES could be
rained down upon violent protests, thus defusing the
hostile dynamics of a "crowd mentality" in riot mode.

From:mattruby@ix.netcom.com^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^**
(Matthew Rubenstein)

Kibbitzware

Mounted in pictureframes, pedestals, and ID tags,
Kibbitzware listens to people talking about the art
objects to which they are attached.

When people talk about what other people said about art,
audio/video of other people talking about art is replayed.
When people talk about how they feel, they can be
connected with other groups of people whose feelings are
related to theirs. When people talk about other art, other
art is displayed on a screen or played from speakers.

From: sarbandia@hotmail.com* (Emmett Shear)

Automatic Schedule Repeater.

Ask, "Where do I have to be next?" As you have previously
entered your  schedule into the memory of the small
device, it replies "The next  class/event/place you have
to be is <place you have to be>."

From: ebaillie@netspace.net.au* (Emma Baillie)

THE <INSERT-NAME-HERE> DEVICE

Ever had that problem of having a nifty invention, and no
snappy label to pin on it?  Need someone to brainstorm
with, but can't get any of your friends to sit still long
enough?

The <Insert-Name-Here> device possesses a voice
recognition chip, an encyclopedic and thesauric knowledge
of the English language, and limitless patience. Simply
bounce your ideas off its free-associating brain and see
what comes back.

In a reversal of the usual cliche, in this partnership it
is the machine which is the creative side, while the human
acts as the rational, sensible, BS-detecting component.

For instance:

"I need a name for this machine .... ummm ...what it does,
right, is it helps people brainstorm their ideas"

>brain, mind, lightning, thunder, thoughts. Rain, rain, go
away. Raining cats and dogs. Image, imagination.
Imagicreation. The ThunderThinker. BrainRain

"No, I don't want anything soggy. Something hip and up-to-
the-minute"

>hip, cool, groovy, snappy, sharp. Sharp mind. So sharp
you'd cut yourself. Self-sharpener. Thinking...
thinking... electric thoughts. Electric Unconscious.
Eclectic electric unconcious.

"Yes, I think we're onto something there"

>on, off, in, out, up, down. Brain On. Have you tried
adjusting the "on" switch? On target. On track. On-track-
mind.  The wheel's still spinning, but the hamster's dead
in a shoebox under the rosebushes...

emma baillie

From: shazaman@netspace.net.au* (Rak Razam)

IDEA #1>  A voice-activated device reads the electrical
synapses of your brain, maps and graphs them, and sends
out  preset pulses that have a calming effect.  Can be
triggered by a spoken word command.

IDEA #2>   Voice-activated microdisplays. EMagin and
InViso are coming out with eSHADES that use microdisplay
screens. The visors are your machine interface between you
and the baseline reality. Voice activated screen visors
could allow you to control the stream of incoming visual
data and remix it. Your personal organizer, DVD, MP3
player, Digicam  could be wired by bluetooth, so simple
commands like PLAY> STOP> RECORD> etc function and load
onto your headset visor.

If the visor is loaded with say, Photoshop or DVD editing
software and a head mounted camera, all incoming signals
could be remixed on the fly by voice activated
triggerwords, turning your world into a morphing self
reflexive video clip. Add soundtrack. Choose from the
hundreds of MP3 files on your RIO which is also voice
activated and networked to the visors.Cut n paste
reality.

Command> SHAZAM!  It might take more than one chip to get
the full gamut of editing software onto the visor, but
imagine walking down the street with your eSHADES on,
streaming video feeds of what's around you, then uttering
triggers like >GAUSSIAN BLUR, and the street shimmering
and blurring, or >INVERT and everything going black to
white, >FINE EDGES, >MEZZOTINT, or simply >RECORD,
>PLAYBACK, etc. Interactive art breaks down linearity and
the static monotone of mere reality.

From: blocksom@gollygee.com^* (Jonathan Blocksom)

* A book which remembers what page you were on, and can
verbally tell you if you ask  it when you pick it up
again.

* Roller blades which turn on the brakes when you say
"brakes", or maybe just when you start screaming.

* Here's one with serious commercial potential: The Harry
Potter ancillary-products wand.  If you're holding this
wand and you say the spell "Lumos" and flick it, it
"magically" lights up.

From: A.M.Dixon@shu.ac.uk* (Andrew M. Dixon)

MikeyMoneyMinder

"Mmm he's your cash & credit chum,
your money mindin' mate,
your budget buddy!"

He speaks your language!
"Oh, please Mikey, let me buy it!"

[technical summary][user interaction][character]
[proof of concept][future][contact]

MikeyMoneyMinder is the perfect post modern consumer
desirable item.
* credit conscience (you can leave it at home)
* a wallet with attitude! It'll change your life == it
changed mine.

MikeyMoneyMinder can be:

*your financial advisor
*your best friend
*the devil on your shoulder
*the angel at your side
*your confidante
*your identity
you choose...

Technical summary.

MikeyMoneyMinder is a basic wallet (or billfold?) with the
following additions:

*voice recognition + audio out
*display
*sensors
*processor + memory

Voice recognition + audio using the ISD SR3000 Embedded
Speech Recognition Engine
audio out == speaker,  headphone == radio-signal to mobile
phone, MP3 player (bluetooth?)

Displays (in addition to speech audio-out):
*Wad thickness (Cash): fat, modest, thin, empty
*Credit Card frequency == you have used your credit card 3
times today/this week/hour (which is 1 use every 4.7
hours).
*Time == home, Sydney, Laos
*Messages as well as speech.

Sensors
MikeyMoneyMinder senses:
*the thickness of your cash wad (strain gauge or similar)
*the presence and absence of your credit card(s), e.g.
micro-switch operated
*whenever you remove and replace a card.

Sensors in addition:
*light/dark
*skin moisture
*temperature

Memory and processing
*Memory could be added to record consumer habits, give
greater variety of responses etc., or to add on
*tamagotchi behavior
*bank and credit details

User interaction

MikeyMoneyMinder jumps into action on hearing his name
"Mikey". He then responds intelligently upon hearing key
words like 'cash', 'credit cards', 'opinion' or 'think'.
Responding and advising with facts, support,
encouragement, or the surreal. MikeyMoneyMinder knows how
much cash you have in your wallet, frequency of use of
your store and credit cards, the time of day, your skin
moisture, the temperature.

He communicates through a discrete speaker in the outer
sleeve of the wallet, or even through your phone or MP3
player. He also has an LCD screen.

Some examples:

"Mikey, what's my cash situation?"
<You have $200 dollars, and it's getting dark, let's
shop!>
"Mikey, how are you feeling?"
<I'm fat as a cow, thank you>
<I'm feeling kinda empty, feed me!>
<My cards have all but seized up.>

"Mikey, tell me Honey, should I buy this?"
<well, you've already spent $10K to day, maybe you should
go home and rest>
[senses skin moisture]  <put the thing down and get out of
the shop fast, you are showing strong signs of panic
buying!>
<well it's simply divine!>
<think of the stratosphere, buddy, do we need another
heatwave?>
<is it organic?>

Mikey (on his/her own)
<I'm bored, let's go shopping>
<I want fruit!, Buy me a melon!>
<Art, art, I need art to live, buy me a Picasso, a Hirst
or a picture postcard, now!>

Characters:

Mikey comes in the following characters with their own
temperaments and attitudes.

Miser   <put that card back>
Credit junky <ooh, do it again>
Big brother <is that legal?>
Viridian <is it low-carbon and does it go zzinggg?>
Eddie Izzard <llamas in tights, well, I'd have one!>

Tamogotchi-esque functionality:

The tamagotchi creature lives on the LCD screen on the
inner sleeve of the wallet, it is has similar
functionality to the original but the inputs are as
follows:
inputs: food = cash, health = card use frequency, fun =
responding to Mikey's requests (built in game).
You could set the cash levels and card frequency for low
card use = healthy creature, or vice versa.

First stage == proof of concept

The concept could be proved. One sensor  + voice
recognition unit moving on to incorporate other important
sensors, and then process information from all sensors to
drive the interaction.

More Modules

Internet connection
Home upload socket
Games & more characters
More sensors, voice analysis,
Security = <stop thief!>
Translation

The future

MikeyMoneyMinder is upgradeable. The modular concept
allows the user to adapt Mikey to their own needs and
personality. It can have web functionality, for online
banking or communication with other Mikey Wallets. It
could fit into clothing == wearable wallets. It could use
Bluetooth and other developments to talk to MP3, mobile
phone, WAP, LCA databases ==  the possibilities are
Mikeytastic.

More details (can be invented/provided) and rough word-
drawing sketches are available.

MONEY TALKS@!!

Andrew Dixon
Research Fellow in Eco-Design