Heiko Recktenwald on 27 Oct 2000 16:56:20 -0000

Re: <nettime> Further on CNN Domain Name Dispute (fwd)

Thanks for forwarding this story.

> several registrations it holds with the United States Patent & Trademark
> Office.  Under the Federal Lanham Act, these registrations grant Cable News
> Network exclusive rights to the CNN trade and service mark, which they have
> used since 1980 to refer to their information and electronic news services.

My problem with this case is: would it make a difference, if ICANN were an
international organisation ? Would that make it unreachable by US courts?

If ICANN would decide, iure imperii, that it wants a certain policy and
nothing else?

H.