s|a|m on 7 Oct 2000 03:45:45 -0000

<nettime> RE: HORST MAHLER: THE ROLE OF A SAD SACK

> > this is exactly what i meant a while ago.
> > anti-capitalism is likely to grow exactly in times of economic depression.
> > like in the 'bleierne zeit' of the mid 70ies was the time of the oil
> > crisis.

I don't know ... there's a lot of people I know who were involved with S11
and also Seattle who aren't 'economically depressed' - infact - they are
highly skilled and wouldn't have too much trouble getting a high paid job
anywhere. And the people S11 specifically attracted were ordinary people
who were simply "pissed off" about corporate led government and the growing
evidence that quality of life was decreasing and cost of life was increasing.

I belive many of these people seek a new way - outside the corporate
industry. Outisde the captial 'P' Party and towards the little 'p' party.

About the content below, history and its context is no doubt important -
but perhaps sometimes we need to escape it in order to create a different
future - which is not guided by history. Perhaps you'd call me naive.

Adios, Sam.

> > i would not say that extreme anti-capitalism is wrong at all, but one
> > has to have good arguments that it doesn't turn into anti-semitism, or
> > some kind of short-cut, or chauvinist ersatz hatred, some kind of
> > jugendbewegung which militarizes in its desperate isolation. what has been
> > left of the left shifted to the middle or is still licking its wounds.
> > organized right wing grassroots extremism is popular especially in
> > euro regions were people feel lost, have no work, etc. austria and
> > east germany are at the fringe of the "middle" class euro zone...
 <...>