Roberto Verzola on 7 Oct 2000 03:40:46 -0000

Re: <nettime> Al Gore and the Internet

 > From my perspective, civil society isn't
 >being seduced, it is being systematically
 >excluded!  Here's a recent article I wrote
 >on this topic.

You are referring to decision-making on Internet matters. Since much
of the Internet infrastructure is now private property, why would you
be surprised if its decision-making, like any business firm, excludes
the public at large?

I was referring to our *life* - how we talk to each other, how we
teach the young, how we buy our needs, how we entertain ourselves,
even how we protest: we are being seduced to conduct more and more of
it on the Internet. Away from public spaces where we have the
strongest grounds to fight for our access rights, towards private
spaces where property rights can more easily constrain us.

Roberto Verzola