Jeffrey Fisher on 31 Jul 2000 08:26:21 -0000

Re: <nettime> intellectual property, Hollywood style

this work made for hire thing is something freelance writers are fighting
more and more and in more and more venues. virtually all contracts signed
through third-party employment firms are work-made-for-hire, for instance.

even as a full-timer at a hip internet consulting company, basically
everything i think is owned by my employer. makes me wary of being too
terribly creative on the side, if you see what i mean. my life is work made
for hire.

huh. i wonder if i should be saying this in public with my name attached.
oh, well.

> From: manovich@ucsd.edu (Lev Manovich)
> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:43:39 -0700
> To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
> Subject: <nettime> intellectual property, Hollywood style
>
> Do you think that after the Net, memes, open source and other similar
> phenomenons/concepts/movements, the issues of copyright and intelectual
> property belong to the twentieth century?
>
> Not quite yet.
 <...>