Ivo Skoric on 30 Jun 2000 15:42:33 -0000

<nettime> The Patriot

Under 17 audiences cannot see this movie without their parents,
but that doesn't prevent some sharp under seventeen marksmen to
take their first kills. Their dad comforts them later: you did no
wrong. And one of them replies: I actually enjoyed it. There is a
time when duty calls and when even local priests take up arms.

Human Rights Watch could write a report thicker than about
Bosnia, writing about an alphabet soup of war crimes and
unspeakable atrocities committed in this movie: forced
displacement, attacks against civilian targets, the use of siege
warfare, the indiscriminate and disproportionate use of force, pillage
and destruction of villages and cultural objects, summary
executions, mutilation, hostage-holding, obstruction of
humanitarian relief and attacks on relief personnel, arbitrary killings
- you name it. The abuses were committed by both sides. And one
side did it because the other side did it. This definitely is a movie
about revenge (Mel Gibson made a career of playing heroes who do
revenge, and he is very, very, very good at that - next role: Naser
Oric in "The Srebrenica"). By the end of the movie everybody is
relieved to see the villain die, we would just want it to be more
slowly and more painful.

I just hope KFOR would have some of its personnel at hand when
movie would be shown in Prishtina - otherwise, if you need to make
a comment in the theater, please refrain from using any Slavic
language.

Happy Independence Day!

ivo