Ivo Skoric on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:09:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Del Ponte: KLA Under Investigation - Finally.

While, it is obvious to any careful observer of events in the Balkans
in past two decades that the primary culprit for letting the ancient
evils leave their historic confinement is Milosevic's regime, the
international community, which this recent Del Ponte's statements
clearly shows, is increasingly uneasy with the KLA behavior.
Western journalists covering the region are saddened and
embarassed with lending their opinions in the support of the
struggle of Kosovo Albanians, that now seems to be in hands, or
worse yet - out of hands, of individuals capable of shooting elderly
grandmothers and 4 year old children on account of their ethnicity.
The Kosovo Albanians are repeating the same yadi-yadi-la we've
heard from Croats and Bosnians upon their 'liberation' - that the
international community committed its support only for its own
selfish purposes and not to actually help them. While, of course,
such a claim may be true, and it is true that NATO armed, used
and restricted KLA on the ground, it is also true that without NATO,
KLA would not be able to win the war against Yugoslav Army, i.e.
although that may have not been the primary intention, they were
helped by international community in achieving their goals. On the
other hand, the international community badly miscalculated the
potential of vindictive urges in the conflict situation of Balkan
proportions. The wars of Yugoslav succession are characterized by
four elements, that increase in their weight and proportion with
every new instance of the conflict: the quantity of destruction, blood-
letting and sick, demented, unspeakable killings; the amount of
pent up anger in the local population; the proportion of involvement
of international community in the conflict; the extent of the chaos in
local public bodies and political structures. By watching how those
elements expanded exponentially from the war in Slovenia, through
the war in Croatia to the war in Bosnia,`it shouldn't come as a
surprise what we see in Kosov@ now. The repression in Kosov@
dates back nearly to a year after Tito's death (1981). The bombing
of Yugoslavia was the largest operation of allied Western forces on
the European continent since the WW II. KLA basically is an ad-
hoc formed guerilla group without soild organizatioal structure,
history or enough time to build a solid public support. The ethnic
cleansing and violence that Kosov@ Albanians faced was above
and beyond what happened in Bosnia before. So, it was quite
expectable that the revanshism would be at much higher levels,
too. What is strange is that the international community did not
calculate with that in the first place and that it still procrastinates
with equipping its Kosov@ operation with a decent police force that
would be able to respond to the primary humanitarian demand of
the region: stopping the violent crime.

ivo