lagadu on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:39:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> (fwd) Re: Deja move 'complete' (sequel to "huh?")

> oh@yeah.com (mary sunshine) wrote:
>
> >So essentially the usenet archive that used to be part of the
> >internet is now gone.
>
> well, basically, yes, at least temporarily. Usenet archiving has
> always been extremely haphazard.  The net as a whole was just
> lucky to have Deja[news] around to archive it.  They've chosen
> (made a business decision) to focus on the product / shopping
> stuff rather than Usenet.

> >I think this is deliberate.
>
> Deliberate how?  Of course it was deliberate, they didn't
> "accidentally" lose the old archive servers.  They probably
> decided that it was too expensive or not worth worrying about to
> move them to their new facility.  After all, 4-5 years of usenet
> archives must take up a lot of disk space!

Deliberate maybe because they know what's going on around the planet in terms
of laws aiming at regulating the "contents" and behind that "individual
expression".  the upcoming "Liberty of communication law" in France is showing
the way by imposing an obligation of identification before any publishing. For
individuals as well. If not on the webpage or in the message posted, it will
have to be given beforehands to the host service.

What does this mean for newsgroups, and chats and non moderated forums and MLs ?

That any "illicit" or defamatory" message will generate a complaint and the
magistrate seized will ask for ID datas if they are not visible. So sites
handling that will have to give ID datas, or share responsability.  And if
these messages are archived which is similar to a publication.... it's even
more obvious.

Also one guy said recently that this kind of law could apply to open source
softawre working groups online... he might me right too.

Other european countries are working on such canvas, and France will take the
presidency in July.  US is also looking at that, but they have to overcome the
first amendment. makes it more difficult.

Chris