nettime's_sunny_countenance on Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:08:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 000609.2

From: "Kennard, Susan" <Susan_Kennard@BanffCentre.AB.CA> Subject:
growing things: the cultures of nanotech, biotech and ecotech meat art
From: Wu-ming Yi <roberto.bui@libero.it> Subject: wumingfoundation From:
Alice Smits <113163.120@compuserve.com> Subject: Yves Musard in the Pink
Pony From: "Saoirse Higgins" <real@eircom.net> Subject: for the
announcer: SIGGRAPH ART GALLERY 2000 From: Frederic Madre <fmadre@
wanadoo.fr> Subject: Re:  palais-tokyo closed!!!   From: Nuova Icona
<nuovaicona@iol.it> Subject: activities Summer 2000 From: Nuova Icona
<nuovaicona@iol.it> Subject: activities Summer 2000 From: Robert Atkins
<robertatkins@earthlink.net> Subject: Artery: The AIDS-Arts Forum
Launches

From: "Kennard, Susan" <Susan_Kennard@BanffCentre.AB.CA>
Subject: growing things: the cultures of nanotech, biotech and ecotech meat art
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:11:56 -0600

"Growing Things" biotech conference
June 2 - 4, 2000
9am - 6pm MST (canada)
the banff centre for the arts

listen in live
http://www.banffcentre.ab.ca/nmi/live.rm
pnm://tunnel.mountain.org:554/encoder/live.rm

join the chat
http://www.irational.org/radio/radio90/chat.html

Agenda
Growing Things:
The Cultures of Nano Tech, Bio Tech, and Eco Tech Meat Art

Many artists are fascinated with the imminent possibilities of designing
life forms, but are we damaging or growing things? How can we open the lines
of communication between Human/Nature/Technology? After all, our species
have intervened into Nature ways for a long, long time. Can we turn
devastation into art? From agriculture and medical intervention to forestry
and recycling older technologies, this millennial summit cultivates
collaborations amongst artists, scientists, ecologists, technologists and
developers from various industries who have interests in the accelerated
growth of bio and nano tech.

FRIDAY, JUNE 2nd
9:00 am - 10:15 am

Welcome and introduction: Who, What, Why and How should we battle?

       Sara Diamond and faculty introduction

10:30 am - 12:15 pm

Opening, Art and Science, Parallel and Differing Methodologies

       Sara Diamond - Executive Producer, TV & New Media, MVA, The Banff
Centre
       Roy Ascott - Edge-Life: moistmedia and technoetic process Interactive
Arts, University of Wales College Newport,
       www.caiia-star.net
       Maroon Tabbal - Advanced Research Computing, UCLA School of Medicine
       Char Davies - Independent Artist, Immersence Inc.
www.immersence.com/immersence_home.htm
       Olga Samborska - Genetic Engineer, Czech Republic

12:15 pm - 1:15 pm - Lunch

1:15 pm - 2:45 pm

Genetic Engineering and Agriculture - Growing Things

       Heath Bunting - UK, http://www.irational.org/heath/
       Brewster Kneen & Cathleen Kneen Farmageddon, Food and the Culture of
Biotech, images, languages and advertising
       www.ramshorn.bc.ca
       Arpad Pucztai & Susan Bardocz - Genetic engineering crop plants. The
view of an experimental Scientist, The most
       often used misinformations in GM debate
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/a.pusztai

3:00 pm -4:45 pm

Ecologies, Land, Environments and Aesthetics

       Char Davies - Independent Artist, Immersence Inc.
       Peter Poole - Lead Researcher, Parks & Conservation, UTSB Center,
Banff
       Larry Diamond - Landscape Architecture, parks and nature, BC

9:15 pm - 11:00 pm

Biosphere Opera: Rachel Mayeri and Steve Ausbury

Location: The Rice Studio, main floor, JPL building

SATURDAY, JUNE 3rd

9:00 am - 9:30 am

Summary of previous day

9:30 am - 11:30 am

Dreaming Bodies, Animal and Human

       Marcelo Walter - Automatic Generation of Patterned Animals,
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/~marcelow
       Maris Bustamante - Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana
http://www.arts-history.mx/marisbustamante/homeinicial2.html
       Diana Domingues - Brazilian artist and researcher - University of
Caxias do Sul http://artecno.ucs.br
       Sara Diamond - Code Zebra
       Nina Czegledy - Auroral Myth - Terrestrial Realities
       Ricardo Peralta - Instituto de Ingenieria-U. Autonoma de Mexico

11:45 am - 1:00 pm

Genetic Engineering, Aesthetics: Culture

       Gregor Wolbring - Commodification of beings,
http://www.thalidomide.ca/gwolbring
       Steven Kurtz - Biotechnology and Resistant Cultural Practice,
http://critical-art.net
       Jenny Marketou - InfoBodies and Fluid Subjectivities

1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Lunch

2:00 pm - 4:30 pm

Art in Vivo

       Joe Davis - Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Genetics in the Arts
       Oron Catts - The Tissue Culture & Art Project
       Ionatt Zurr - The Tissue Culture & Art Project
       Marta de Menezes - Redesigning nature: Art through the manipulation
of butterfly wing-patterns
       Katie Egan - Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Genetics in the Arts

       Eduardo Kac - The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, cultures,
http://www.ekac.org

4:45 pm - 5:45 pm

Law and Genetic Orders: Utopias and Realities

       Carol Gigliotti - Whose Utopia? Whose Reality?,
www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/Astrolabe
       Charles Ostman - Senior Fellow - Institute for Global Futures
http://www.techfuturist.com/charles1.htm

8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Screening Conceiving Ada, Lynn Hershman

10:00 pm - 2:00 am
Party - Bio Techno - Rock against Genetics
Radio 90 Dj's, Visuals by SB

SUNDAY, JUNE 4th

9:30 am - 10:00 am
Summary of previous day

10:00 am - 11:30 am

Artificial Life

       Rebecca Allen - The Art of Behavior : Artificial Life
       Bruce Damer - Digital Biota and Cyberbiology: Seeding & Growing
Things in Cyberspace, http://biota.org
       http://ccon.org
       Machiko Kusahara - Growing Virtual Pets, Kobe University Graduate
School of Science and Technology
       http://www.db.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp/~kusahara
       Michael Tolson - Artist/Researcher, Envoii (represented by Char
Davies)

11:45 am - 1:15 pm

Visualization and Data Sets

       Patrick Clancy - Photography & New Media Department, Kansas City Art
Institute; Cyber-Site New Media Research
       Center
       Sharon Daniel & Mark Bartlett - Department of Film and Digital Media,
Division of the Arts, University of California Santa
       Cruz, http://arts.ucsc.edu/sdaniel
       Dave Goulden - The Cell: Inside Out, Multimedia Designer, Netera
Alliance Inc., http://www.netera.ca/

1:15 pm - 2:30 pm

Lunch

2:30 pm - 3:30 pm

Nanotech Intelligence, Human Images and Autonomous Machines

       Jan Hauser - Sun Microsystems Federal,
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy_pr.html
       Pekka Ollikainen - New forms of group communications

3:45 pm - 5:00 pm

New Research Models: Artists and Scientists

       Oliver Ressler - Anti Gene-Worlds: Oppositions to Genetic Engineering
(1998) & Focus on Companies (2000),
       www.lot.at/politics/contributions/oliver1.htm
       Nell Tenhaaf - York University
       Barbara Crow - University of Calgary, access to technology
       Faculty response

ZDM Recent Event: A Report

       Randy Cutler - Digital Earth Society
       Daniel Joliffe - Digital Earth Society