Felix Stalder on Sat, 13 May 2000 00:28:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Viruses on the Internet: Monoculture breeds parasites

I'm not a technician, but I doubt that the reasons why there has never been
a virus for  linux or only very few for apple is due to the technical
superiority of these systems. I suspect that this has more to do with a
cooperative user culture and a different rate of distribution.

There are many other ways to create and spread viruses than as email
attachments. A recent post in Phil Agre's RRE describes a virus that would
run on any machine and does not need users to activate it. This virus has
been designed to achieve the following characteristics:

1: Portability - worm must be architecture-independent, and should work on
   different operating systems (in fact, we focused on Unix/Unix-alikes, but
   developed even DOS/Win code).

2: Invisibility - worm must implement stealth/masquerading techniques to hide
   itself in live system and stay undetected as long as it's possible.

3: Independence - worm must be able to spread autonomically, with no user
   interaction, using built-in exploit database.

4: Learning - worm should be able to learn new exploits and techniques
   instantly; by launching one instance of updated worm, all other worms,
   using special communication channels (wormnet), should download updated
   version.

5: Integrity - single worms and wormnet structure should be really difficult
   to trace and modify/intrude/kill (encryption, signing).

6: Polymorphism - worm should be fully polymorphic, with no constant
   portion of (specific) code, to avoid detection.

7: Usability - worm should be able to realize choosen mission objectives -
   eg. infect choosen system, then download instructions, and, when
   mission is completed, simply disappear from all systems.

<http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/2000/RRE.worm.design.html>.

That fact that Outlook doesn't run on Linux will help you less than the
fact that there are few geeks willing to destroy the Linux culture.

Felix