nettime's_roving_reporter on Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:39:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> A16 reports, Sunday night [x2]

"Paul" <manwichartist@yahoo.com>
     Weathereport (3)
"Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky@bellatlantic.net>
     Sunday

From: "Paul" <manwichartist@yahoo.com>
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2000 10:24 PM
Subject: Weathereport (3)

     [orig to lots of people]

Please forward to interested parties
Subject: IMF/World Bank Protests in Washington D.C

Weathereport (3)
April 16, 2000 (Sunday edition)
Early morning rain with a heavy chance of activists
blocking streets and alleys leading to the IMF
building in Downtown Washington D.C.

This is what democracy looks like. Affinity groups
composed of students from Chicago and Maryland step
into the cross-section of 14th and I street, lit only
by the early morning sun. On the sidewalk, "action
elves," who provide scouting reports for the groups
brief the human blockaders as they begin to link
hands. At this intersection, they are standing. At
others, they sit cross-legged, with their linking arms
inside PVC tubes to prevent cops from clubbing the
arms and breaking the link. Some groups don't form a
line to block traffic; they link together in the
middle of the street in a circle, using Kryptonite
bike locks to cuff their hands and heads together. Two
blocks west of this intersection, an affinity group
from Charlottesville, North Carolina shrink-wrapped
themselves together with industrial strength plastic
sheets. They walked onto their intersection and
instantly made a 40 feet long human fence as imposing
as anything you see surrounding the government
buildings here. At 14th and I, they've made a human
chain that stretches the diagonal length of the
intersection. Media producers both independent and
network click and write and videotape the anxious
young faces that make up the chain. Behind them stands
a row of 37 D.C. police officers in riot helmets and
batons, holding the crowd of protesters at a
predefined distance from the IMF building. People
begin to sing. Legal observers working with the
movement position themselves with notebooks in hand,
ready to write down badge numbers and give legal
advice. Protesters continue to fill the streets as
affinity groups race to set up their blockades at
their designated spots. Someone told me the IMF
meetings start at 9:00AM. It was only 6:30AM.
By 10:00AM Dan and I have made the rounds to all the
affinity groups working to block delegates from
entering the IMF building. We settle at 18th and E,
with approximately 150 to 200 people in the middle of
the street, linked, and in reverie. Protests are the
greatest free form of entertainment we have left, and
this intersection proves it. Flanking this crew of
dreadlocks and backpacks on the north side are 10 riot
police behind a provisional fence. One block east a
row of 25 riot cops stand in ready, with more on the
way. Helicopters circle above and police sirens wail
from the south. I smell something acidic in the air,
and not knowing the difference between the smell of
tear gas and the smell of vinegar (used to counteract
the effects of tear gas), I clutch my gas mask and
brace for the worst. The human chains begin to bunker
down and sing. Reinforcements are called for from the
adjacent intersections. Drums and voices compete with
helicopters and sirens. The riot cops a block away
begin to close in.
And then, a soccer ball shoots into the air. Four
people emerge from behind the human chains and chase
down the ball, which now bounces in front of the front
line. One person catches up to it and kicks the ball
to someone on the other side of the street. In a
matter of seconds, a soccer game starts. At one end of
the street, 200 protesters are linked together,
determined not to let cops and delegates through the
intersection. On the other end, 25 riot cops march
toward the protesters. And in the middle, four kids
playing soccer. The singing grows as more people
filter in from other intersections to support the
confrontation. The soccer game intensifies as the cops
continue to close in. It is tense, but thrilling. The
songs turn into chants and two hundred people begin
yell, " This is what democracy looks like." Protesters
rhythmically repeat this over and again. The soccer
players get into a groove and kick to the rhythms of
the chant. The cops stop as they approach the soccer
game. After 10 minutes of standing, a commanding
officer recalls the battalion and they retreat to a
waiting private bus. Wild cheers and drumming explodes
as protesters wave the cops goodbye. The soccer game
goes on, uninterrupted.
This is typical here. Ordinary people facing
extraordinary circumstances using creative means to
achieve a common end was the force and inspiration at
every intersection blocked today by the thousands of
activists who participated in the actions of civil
disobedience. And it will continue tomorrow. More
democracy. More fun.

P.
4/16/00
IBM GL300

http://www.indymedia.org
http://www.punkplanet.com

=====
"Be light as a bird, not as a feather." -- Valry