James Love on Fri, 14 Apr 2000 01:12:52 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [Random-bits] ICANN discussions on new non-commercial TLDs

This is a note from the nc-TLDS discussion list, on the creation of
new non-commerical top level domains.  Jamie
---------------------------------------

Subject: [Nc-tlds] ICANN discussions on non-commercial TLDs
       Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:46:15 -0400
      From: James Love <love@cptech.org>
        To: Non-commercial TLDs <nc-tlds@venice.essential.org>

ICANN's policies on new top level domains are supposed to come from a
"bottom up" self governance model.  Here is some explanation of that, plus
a note on the discussions in ICANN's Non Commercial Domain Name Holders
Constituency (NCDNHC), that I find quite distressing.

1.  ICANN has a "names council" made up of 7 different constituency
groups.  These are:

   gTLD registries (right now with NSI as only member)
   ccTLDs registries (the 2 digit country code registries, some
non-profit, some businesses)
   registrars (the businesses that register domains)
   Commerical and Business entitites
   ISPs and connectivity providers (businesses that provide ISP type
services)
   Trademark, intellectual property and anti-counterfeiting interests
(speaks for itself)
   Non-commerical domain name holders constituency (NCDNHC)

So it should be obvious that the names council is stacked in terms of
commerical interests.

2.  Within the NCDNHC, there are apparently about 100 member
organizations, and lots of membership applications that have not been
acted on.  There are three persons elected from the NCDNHC to ICANN's
Names Council.  The person with the most votes was YJ Park, who is a
member of this discussion list.  There is also Kathy Kleiman from the US,
who is a lawyer with a big firm, who is the rep from the Association for
Computer Machinary (ACM), and Zakaria Amar from Africa.

YJ Park was the biggest vote getter, with 34 votes, followed by Zakaria
Amar, who had 30.  Kathy Kleiman (20), the only US person, barely edged
Vany Martinez (17) and Dany Vandromme (18).  There is no one from Europe
or Latin America.  Among the NC members, YJ Park is by far the most
assertive on the NCDNHC list.

Lots of people on the NCDNHC list have nothing to do with civil society
NGOs.  Not only are there lots of individuals who have not been approved
as members, but you have industry people with "boat club" memberships,
tons of Internet Society Chapters filled with various industry types,
people working for various government agencies, and lots of commerical
groups or country code registries.

3.  Several persons on the NCDNHC list are attacking the notion on new
TLDs for non-commerical purposes.  Park is quite aggressively pushing for
a position that there will be only 1 in the testbed, .ngo, and she is
opposed to ones that would address specific agendas, like .union,
humanrights, etc.

4.  There is a very big attack on new TLDs that use english names.  union
is being attacked because there are lots of different spelling of union or
somewhat different meanings in different countries.  One person suggested
there should be 250 different language versions of union in the root, or
none at all.  (This from the person who runs the .nu ccTLD registry).
None of these attacks so far have offered concrete alternatives for a
single name that would be better.  The putative issue is "we don't like
english taking over the world."  Some have suggested this is simply a
tactic to block new TLDs.

5.  People who work for or have other ties to the ccTLDs are also
explicitly trying to block new TLD on the grounds that it will undermine
registrations in the ccTLD space.  The .ch China registry is very blunt
about this, and I'll post that message to this list, to illustrate the
flavor of this discussion.

6.  Others seem to be advocating blocking expansion of the root because
they think Asia and other regions of the world need to "catch up" with the
US, before new space is opened up, so the US doesn't dominate it.  The
language issue becomes one way to blocking things.  Some are insisting
that we don't do anything until we have non ascii type TLDs in play.  Or,
suggestions are made for impossible demands that every new TLD work
perfectly in every language in culture.  There is also appears to be a
tendency to have ICANN's NCDNHC's micromanage certain details of a new TLD
proposal, the language issue being one aspect, but there are also people
who want to impose their personal views "how the Internet should work" to
everyone, or to block things that they don't understand or personally
benefit from.

7. Conflicts of interest seem to be widespread, but not transparent.

This is a pretty critical description of the discussions on NCDNHC list,
and I could have made it more upbeat and positive, and indeed, I hope
things will improve.  However, it is important to note that there are many
forces in this group that are opposed to moving forward, and want to block
all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons.

At some point there may be new consensus calls on the NCDNHC list.  It
would be good if real civil society NGOs could actually join the NCDNHC,
and participate in the votes.  This isn't a trivial part of the ICANN
structure.  It would also be good if people from real NGOs would speak up
on the list from time to time.

 Jamie