Josh Hehner on Mon, 10 Apr 2000 05:18:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Canada promises (e)fingerprints at border crossings by 2004 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 14:56:02 EDT
From: holt <holt@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Canada promises (e)fingerprints at border crossings by 2004

Canada is now setting up an electronic Berlin Wall (as the US has
already just about completed with Mexico.)  The borderless 51st state
alternative is starting to look pretty good!  Revenue Minister Martin
CAUCHON said Canada Customs' (now merged with Revenue Canada) $90million
system will:

 (a) free up much more time to question those who do NOT sign
     up for the "voluntary" fingerprinting system
 (b) as a result, create one of the most "progressive" border
     crossing systems in the world

If you understand this logic, please do tell.  Unfortunate this Mr
CAUCHON didn't read his own government's privacy bill (C-6) which
applies to companies and non-profits alike, passed into law Tuesday just
3 days prior, which states that individuals can neither be induced,
coerced or incentivized to give up exactly such personal data!  --AH

My roommate Adam Smith <asmith@theory.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> One step closer to (e)scanning faces at the border. Notice the "we are
> victims of our own success" explanation for the flight of Canadaians to
> the US.
>
> One question: just who gets permission to cross the border with a pass?
> E.g. if I list my profession as "self-employed businessman" instead of
> "crack dealer", do I get to cross the border on the pass system?

   CBC.ca WebPosted Fri Apr 7 23:54:23 2000

   TORONTO - Some Canadians may soon find crossing the border into the
   United States a touch easier, as electronic screens are set up that
   scan their fingerprints.

   Over the next four years, new identification equipment will be set up
   so many travellers can bypass customs officials at airports and border
   checks, the government announced Friday.

   [You will be able] to declare and pay any duty on goods at automated
   kiosks by using credit cards.  But customs officials will still
   retain the authority to conduct random checks of people using the
   electronic equipment.

   The CANPASS system, which has special lanes for motorists at some
   border crossings, is also being expanded.

   Spot checks will still be carried out, and agents will have more time
   to question travellers who do not have passes, the minister added.

   Border traffic has been getting busier in recent years, causing long
   line-ups. "We are victims of our own success," Cauchon said.

FULL STORY:
 http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2000/04/07/customs000407

System detail PR:
 http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/blue_print/index-e.html