Peter Haefner on Sat, 1 Apr 2000 18:14:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Antisemitische Publikation

On 30 Mar 2000, at 22:45, Andrea Mayer-Edoloeyi wrote:

> sorry for posting in German, but I am not able to
> translate right now .... reason for posting is that I read on
> nettime that amazon is norminated for a price

You're a little late on that one :-) Amazon caved in, took the editorial
comment off and posted a correction.

Found this the other day on a PR list, where some folks remembered their
profession and unleashed some viral action ...

I just received the following from my contact at the Cleveland office of
ADL:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:  Myrna Shinbaum 212-885-7747

AMAZON.COM AND BARNES & NOBLE.COM RESPOND TO ADL'S CONCERNS ON PROTOCOLS
BOOK

New York, NY, March 28, 2000...The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) said today
that Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com have agreed to prominently place on
their Web sites ADL's statement that The Protocols of the Learned Elders
of Zion is an anti-Semitic Czarist forgery. ADL said the online
booksellers would state that they do not endorse the views expressed in
the book or the publisher's description should one appear, which
Amazon.com has had instituted for some time.

Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:

        We are pleased that Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com have
responded positively to our concerns and those of the public, and have
instituted ways to alert their customers to the fact that the Protocols of
the Learned Elders of Zion is a forgery. Since we are not in the business
of banning books, no matter how reprehensible they may be, we sought and
achieved the best solution to inform book buyers. Both Amazon.com and
Barnes & Noble.com have demonstrated corporate responsibility and we
commend them for it.

Following is ADL's statement on the Protocols which will appear on
Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com:
        "From the Anti-Defamation League: The Protocols of the Learned
Elders of Zion, circulated by the Czarist secret police at the turn of the
20th century, is plainly and simply a plagiarized forgery. The Protocols
has been a major weapon in the arsenals of anti-Semites around the world,
republished and circulated by individuals, hate groups and governments to
convince the gullible as well as the bigoted that Jews have schemed and
plotted to take over the world."

    In addition, Barnes and Noble bookstores will no longer shelve The
Protocols under "Judaica," but under "World History."

ciao
Peter
--

Nur weil Du nicht paranoid bist, heisst das noch lange nicht, dass man
nicht hinter Dir her ist.'