panix on Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:13:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The Youth International Party Line #1

File: YIPL (TAP) ISSUE #1
Read 31 times

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*
=
= *			     YIPL (TAP) Issue # 1
* =				   June 1971
= *
* =TAP ON-LINE Courtesy of BIOC Agent 003 & Sherwood Forest ][ -- (914)
359-1517= * *
-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-==

For this selection, I had to turn back through over 360 pages of TAPs which
represent the results of over 13 years of "subversive" work by several
dozen people. I have tried to reproduce it as accurately with possible
since there are a few diagrams. As for the format it was a four page
booklet (the same format that is still used 13 years later) -- It was
typewritten except for the larger print which was handwritten. Today, TAP
looks a little more professional than it did in its former days. Also, TAP
has become extremely "conservative" compared to the days of its youth when
the newsletter was run by anti-war/anti-government/anti-everything yippies.
Now, onto issue #1.

- BIOC Agent 003 Associate Editor
Published							     June,
1971 Monthly

THE YOUTH INTERNATIONAL PARTY LINE'S FIRST ISSUE

We at YIPL would  like to offer thanks to all you phreeks  out there. Most
of you who are now receiving this met us in Washington on Mayday,  where we
distributed 10,000 promo flyers. So far  we have received over 50
not have done well percentage-wise, but the fact  that there are 50 people
all over the country willing  to fight back speaks for itself. We are sure
that from  the spirit of response, YIPL membership will really skyrocket.
However, more important than our numbers,  in our opinion, is the feeling
and motivation for this  movement. The disappointment we feel toward
Amerika has  turned to hatred as we saw the futility of the movement  to
improve it, and to frustation as our outside efforts  were repressed and
forbidden. But we did NOT turn our  backs on the movement for change. YIPL
believes that  education alone cannot affect the System, but deucation  can
be an ivaluable tool for those willing to use it.  Specifically, YIPL will
show you why something must be  done immediately in regard, of course, to
the improper  control of the communication in this country by none  other
than the BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY.

So if your friends want to get in on the fun, let them  read your
newsletter, and you might want to research your  own questions in your
local library, and help to start the  education of your community of the
phone company's part in the war against the poor, the non-white, the
non-conformist, and in general, against the people. Show your neighbors,
friends and the representatives of your area how the Bell System and the
Amerikan government are co-conspirators. If your friendscan't subscribe to
YIPL, that; is cool, is convenient for our small staff, and is right on if
they can send a buck as a donation and read your newsletter. We also need
stamps, letters, and envelopes, which maybe they can get from their office
at work. Because we are already sending out issues to people short on
bread, we really do need this kind of help. We will report on all of our
finances from time to time, and if you can dig it, we will probably need
some kind of bail fund set up. If any YIPL busts happen, we'd like to ask
you all in advance to work extra hard for the cause.

People, thanks again. Love

THE CREDIT CARD CODE

The 1971 Credit Card system works as follows: The telephone number (7
digits) of the number to be billed is followed by the secret number for the
area code of the number. They are listed below for several cities.

At the end of the number comes a letter that matches the sixth digit of the
telephone number. Many people look up the number of a large Company in the
area and use their number, cause using any old number might lead to THAT
person refusing to pay, and the Phone Company's hasseling the person to
whom the call was placed. They should say that others use that phone, and
they don't know anything. Fraud is illegal, so WE don't think you should
make free calls. This Code has already been printed in many underground
papers, as you know.

Detroit-083 Boston-001   Phila.-041  1=Q  4=H  7=R  0=Z Washington-032 San
Fran-158 Pitts.-030  2=A  5=J  8=U New York-021 Chicago-097  3=E  6=N  9=W

Example- 769-1900-069-Z (I.B.M. ,Amant,N.Y.)

!------^

TECHNICAL INFOMRMATION

As long as you're paying a bill, the phone company will tend to let you be.
We all know that you might have extra phones you want connected as
freebees. Not Western Electric phones, of course.  Remember, the phone
company "frowns upon" hooking them up yourself, so wwe suggest you have a
friend do it.

On-hook voltage:45V Off-hook voltage:4.5V Your telephone line is usually a
red and a green Ring pulses: 90V wire.A yellow is sometimes used for
ringing.  Un- screw your storebought phone on the bottom and you will find
a box with a bunch of screws on it.  Connecting as in the phone will keep
it a secret from "Them".

!		***************************Disconnect this Bell wire(it is red)
!		* ****************	  *<---------^^^^^
!		* * **********	 *	  *	 !
!    ---------	W W W W* ----*---*--------*----  !
!   (	      ) I I I I * O  *	 G	  R##############################>
!  (   Bell    )R R R R !    O	 #   Y##  O    ! !
!  -------------E E E E !	 #   O ###############################*
!	! !	-----------------#####################################*##>
!  ----------- (		   )	       ! !
!  !	      ( 		    )	       ! !  Connect the Yellow and the
!  !	     (	      Dial	     )	       ! !  Green wires together as one
!  !	    (			      )        ! !  where they meet the main
!  !	   (			       )       ! !  telephone wires.
!   ---   (				) -----  !
!	 (				 )	 !
Ever wonder how those conference call makers that are sold on the
commercial
market work?  What they do is as follows:
	      DOUBLE-POLE, DOUBLE-THROW,>>>>>		**********> TO PHONE
	  CENTER-OFF, SWITCH		    !		*    *****>
				  !--------!<<	      !-*----*-!
				  ! I**  I**************I ***I !
				  !   *    !	      !   *    !
				  !   *********************    !
		  LINE 1	  !	   !	      !        !    LINE 2
     RED<*******************************   !	      !  *************>RED
				  !    *   !	      !  *     !
   GREEN<***************************I  **I !	      ! I*   I********>GREEN
				  !	   !	      !        !
				  ! ************************** !
				  ! *	   !	      !      * !
				  ! I	 I**************I    I !
				  !--------!	      !-!----!-!
							ZZZZZZ<-1000 OHM,1 WATT
							       RESISTOR

Flickering a switch up puts the phone on that number.  Flicking it down
puts that number on "hold".  The center position turns the first number
off. The resistor keeps the line "off the hook" electrically, so if it is
on hold, you will not be able to receive phone calls on that number.  You
line would would appear "busy" to callers.  Simple enough?

Yippies have been know to fool around with shit like this from time to time
without the permission of their local telephone company and even though
they usually get away with it, we at YIPL would never think of advocating
that thype of irresponsible activity.  You should always check with your
local phone company to pay them any extra money that you might be
responsible to them for, before ever fooling around with your phone. The
phone company is our friend, and they are here to help you.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Dear phreeks, I'm a phreeks in need of information, so I can balance the
score between the Bell Kompany & the people.  I enclose a dollar.  Your
brother in the movement- H.M., Jamestown, N.D.

My dearest sirs: Nothing pleasure me more than ripping off Mother
Bell.Please send newsletter. Encloses is $1 U.S.  Also-a question...A few
friends of mine make long distance calls free from pay phone booths by
holding the mouthpiece of the phone they're using up to the phone next to
it so the operator hears the change jingle and makes the connection.  I've
tried it here in D.C. and the operator says the cash hasn't registered
(which of course it hasn't).  Please tell why. Thanks a lot.  B.S., DuBois,
Pa.

In our nation's Kapital there are the shiny new pay phones that work
electronically, instead of the ding (5c), ding-ding (10c) or dong (25c).New
ones have only one slot for depoit, and oon old ones your trick works, but
hold the handset CLOSE to that phone! Editor

Send me the shit and don't rip me off (please)  S.M., Winchester, Pa.

Dear Y.I.P.L., I thought you might be interested in a movement started here
in Lancaster. The movement is to have people who wish to see our troops out
of Vietname this year call their local phone company manager and have their
phone removed.  The manager must be told why if it is to have any
effect.Hopefully enough people will feel strongly & give up phone service
to begin showing up on the profits of the phone company.  This would push
the phone lobbies to speak out (Bell especially) to end our continued
involvement there.  If you can assist in any way by encouraging this to
take place in other areas it would be appreciated. Thanks!  J.G.,
Lancaster, Pa.

Hi People, Here's my bill, send me shit on fucking the Bell System.  Man do
I need info on this kinda shit thanks D.B., State College, Pa.

OUR FRIENDLY PHONE COMPANY...

Our example of eavesdropptin that touches a vast number of Americans was
related to the Subcommittee by Joseph Beirne, President of the
Communications Worker of America.  He revealed that the phone company does
not limit its invasions of privacy to assisting the FBI an other government
tappers.He pointed out that " as part of its training program, and as part
of its cont- inuing close supervision of its employees, the telephone
industry has developed equiptment for monitoring its operators, its service
assistants, its commercial office employees-in short, all of its employees
who deal with the customer. Such monitoring means, of course, that the
customer is, in effect, monitored at the same same time." "An alert snooper
is sometimes able to obtain the information he needs simply by calling the
telephone office and posing as a telephone repairman.  Or, if the tapper is
a law-enforcement officer, here may be able to secure the outright
cooperation of the telephone company in the placing of his taps. In Kansas
City, the existence of just such an arrangement between the telephone
company and the chief of police was reveled." The above two quotes were
made by Senator Edward V. Long.

In the office we call it "The System", and use of the word "the" means dog-
matic finality.  The wall comes up pretty fast when you start tampering
with the way things are done within The System, and you either slow down
and do things Bell's way or knock your brains out.-AT&T junior
executive,spring,1967

In April of 1966, as the government was excalating the Vietnam war,
Congress passed a law raising the Federal tax on telephone service to 10%.
"It is clear," said Rep. Wilbur Mills, Chairman of the House Ways and Means
Committee, "that Vietnam and only the Vietnam operation makes the bill
necessary". -Congressional Record,February 23,1966.

The War Tax Resistance is showing people how to refuse to pay this war tax.
In most cases, the IRS will come to collect with 6% interest but your phone
service will continue. But the more it's done, the more it costs Them in
time, trouble and embarrasment for Uncle Sham.  Do it, and tell your
friends, relatives and neighbors to do the same.  Include a letter to this
effect to the phone company and your congressmen:

Date_____________________

BECAUSE OF THE BRUTAL AND AGGRESSIVE WAR the United States government is
conducting against Vietnam, the amount of federal excise tax,
$............., has been decucted from my payment of this bill.  I have
opposed this war and protested against it in many ways.  Now I must testify
to my opposition by refusing to pay this tax.

The telephone excise tax was raised in April, 1966, only in order to help
pay for the war in Vietnam.  Paying the tax means helping to pay for
outright atrocities, for the murder of innocent women and chidren.  It
means helping to pay for the indicscriminate bombin and napalming of
defenseless villages. It means helping to finance the shipping of American
boys half way around the world to die defending an unpopular, totalitarian
and corrupt regime.

I am sorry for any incovenience my tax refusal may cause your office and
hope you will understancd that this protest is not directed against the
telephone company.  I hope also that you will soon join me and the many
others others who have decided that it is now necessary to oppose the war
by refusing to pay the telephone exciese tax that helps finance it.

Sincerely in peace,

Distributed by WAR TAX RESISTANCE/339 Lafayette Street/New York, N.Y. 10012

IN NEED

How do we communicate with our people serving time in Nam?  WPAX has a way.
They're putting rock and sould and rap and education tapes on the air
through Radio Hanoi, who is donating free air time to broadcast these
"subversive" sounds, now banned by our government's stations.  But WPAX
need YOUR blank and recorded tapes, and of course, bread.  Send what you
can.  If you want ot record your own show to be aired, ask them for details
and they'll be happy to supply them.  WPAX, Box 410, Cooper Station,
N.Y.,N.Y. 10003

GETTING PAST ISSUE OF YIPL

Obviously, as the people join up later on, they're going to want info that
was already published.  So we'll have a stock of past issues, available at
the ridiculous (?) price of 50c each.  This MIGHT start to erase our
deficit, but we'll lover the price if we can get enough contributions.

IN OUR NEXT ISSUE

We will have more letters, info, shit, and our man on the scene, Al Bell,
will have some INSIDE INFO on the "Blue Box' that people all of the country
are using on Ma Bell.  Plus a dialouge with Russel Baker and Abbie Hoffman
on Fones

*****Picture of the OLD, OLD Bell logo (the one with the bell that has
'Bell System' written inside) with No. 1 written in the bell and Public
Enemy written in the circular outside ring.

We beg you consider donating a small percent of what YIPL helps you save.

One year of newsletter is $4. YIPL,Room 504, 152 W. 42 St., N.Y.,N.Y.

SF][G9:ba003.022285

[Courtesy of Sherwood Forest ][ -- (914) 359-1517]

-----End of File