t byfield on Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:35:24 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> icann compilation

   below is a sample announcement from esther dyson, chair of the
   board of ICANN, drumming up support for ICANN's new Membership
   At Large' (MAL). the MAL is one of several groups and organiza-
   tions convened by ICANN, ostensibly to represent the interests
   of various 'stakeholding' groups; unlike the other groups, MAL
   is open to regular netizens--as opposed to the representatives
   of governments, trade/service-mark holders, registrars, and so
   on. <http://www.icannwatch.org/images/orgchart.gif> is a mysti-
   fying organizational chart of ICANN's overall structure, which
   only hints at the complexity of the dynamics involved--because
   of bylaws and working process, personalities, politicking, and
   so on. MAL has been roundly criticized as too little, too late:
   a powerless simulacrum of representation, yet another sideshow
   whose composition and rules were drawn up with little accounta-
   bility, and--depsite that--easily subject to capture by groups
   already well-represented in ICANN. below are: (1) several back-
   ground links; (2) dyson's letter; and (3) a sample dialog from
   the current ICANN meeting in cairo.

(1) links

     background on ICANN's overall development:
          <http://www.icannwatch.org/archives/muell.pdf>

     background on the MAL:
          slashdot thread--
               <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/03/07/0713200>
          andy oram--
               <http://webreview.com/wr/pub/2000/02/18/platform/index.html>
          common cause critique/recommendations--
               <http://www.commoncause.org/icann/study.htm>

     minutes/audio/video/remote comments from the current
     ICANN meeting in cairo:
          <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/cairo/archive/>

(2) dyson's letter

[original to: Europe's Internet Business Forum
      <http://NowEurope.com>