eon on Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:57:37 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Reclaiming the Net: Talk v. Action

In light of recent events involving the "Privatization" of the Doman Name
System, the formation of ICANN, and US Government intervention into
controlling the "orderly process of privatization" of the Internet on its
own terms (DOC, DOJ, NSA, etc.) some individuals have called on the SBA
(Small Business Administration)  to hold a conference on DNS alternatives
by independent operators and small businesses.

In that dialog, the following discussion has emerged.  It has been
summarized for Nettime below.

The Power of the network lies at the EDGES.  US Government and
Corporations seek to reign that power back in to the CENTER.

The DNS INDEPENDENCE movement, spearheaded by projects such as Name.Space
and others including ORSC and IPV8, IPV16 seek to "route around"  the
central control, and move the powers back into the hands of the USERS at
the EDGES and ACROSS the net, and not to be bound and regulated by the
monied interests who wish to concentrate the power at the CENTER.

Whether we resign ourselves to idle talk, criticism, complaints,
complicity, inaction, or choose to make positive, proactive steps to
RECLAIM THE NET, the choices we make today and in the coming months will
certainly affect the shift of power over media.

RTN