Steven Clift on Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:43:09 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Citizen Internet - Asia-Pacific Connections - Newswire

Citizen Internet and Participation - Asia-Pacific Connections

There is a good chance that I will speak at the Global Knowledge
conference <http://www.globalknowledge.org.my/> in Malaysia,
March 7-10.  Like I have done over 100 times across 17 countries
with previous trips, I hope to arrange speaking engagements and
small meetings in a few Asia-Pacific countries after the conference.

I speak about citizen participation and the Internet, the role of the
Internet in elections and governance, and hope to meet with key
organizations and governments to discuss global efforts to promote
the use of civic online interaction and events at the local, national,
and international level.  My presentations and articles are available
online <http://www.publicus.net>.  If you would to explore hosting a
presentation or a visit to your area, please contact me via e-mail
<clift@publicus.net> or call +1-612-822-8667.  For more
information on who I am, see my biography below.

I also invite those receiving this message to also join the close to
1000 key leaders and journalists on my Democracies Online
Newswire <http://www.e-democracy.org/do>.  With my trips I tend
to uncover exciting examples about what I call the convergence of
democracy and the Internet.  If you know of innovative efforts using
the Internet in government, governance, community involvement,
advocacy, campaigns, etc. in the Asia-Pacific region, please let
me know via e-mail <clift@publicus.net>.  The full Democracies
Online Newswire description is at the very end of this message.

Please pass this message on to others you think might be
interested or send me suggestions on people and organizations
that I should contact.

Sincerely,
Steven Clift
clift@publicus.net
http://www.publicus.net

Current Biography

Steven Clift is an online strategies consultant focused on the use of
the Internet in democracy. He is an adviser to the Markle
Foundation for their Web White & Blue 2000 online election
information partnership and served as Project Coordinator in 1998.
He is also Board Chair of Minnesota E-Democracy, a non-profit
organization which created the world's first election-oriented web
site in 1994 and hosts ongoing citizen discussions on state and
community affairs.

He shares information and advice to close to 1000 subscribers via
his Democracies Online Newswire service as well as through public
presentation in seventeen countries thus far over the last four
years. He served as Co-Editor for the G8 Democracy and
Government Online Services Publication that was released in
January 1999. His article "Democracy is Online" appeared on the
cover of the Internet Society's OnTheInternet magazine in April
1998.

He previously served as a consultant to the Markle Foundation's
E- mail for All public outreach effort in 1998. For three years until
September 1997, he coordinated the State of Minnesota's
government- wide online efforts. While attending graduate school at
the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University of
Minnesota he worked for the Center for Democracy and Citizenship
from 1991 to 1993 where he also started the online Public Policy
Network in 1993.

Visit Publicus.Net for more information: http://www.publicus.net
E-mail: clift@publicus.net

   Democracies Online Newswire -  http://www.e-democracy.org/do

DO-WIRE is a low volume, moderated, e-mail announcement list
covering the convergence of democracies and the Internet around
the world.

Around 1 to 5 "best of" posts are forwarded each week from civic,
political, academic, government, media, and private sector sources.
Posts highlight articles, calls for papers, new projects, online
events, online resources, research, conferences, and URLs to
important news stories.

Launched in late 1997, over 700 of the world's leading
democracy/politics online experts, practitioner, and journalists subscribe to this free service.  Join them today.

A searchable web archive is available:
     http://www.e-democracy.org/do

To SUBSCRIBE for e-mail delivery, send a message to:
     LISTSERV@TC.UMN.EDU
In the message body, write:
     SUB DO-WIRE "Your Name (Place)"

Please note that you will be asked to confirm your subscription
via e-mail.

DO-WIRE submissions are encouraged.  Please send your proposed
posts to:  DO@PUBLICUS.NET
                                                     28 OCT 99