nettime's_disintermediation_system on Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:39:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> re: Wolfgang Schirmacher: Media Aesthetics in Europe

re: Wolfgang Schirmacher: Media Aesthetics in Europe
          Frank Hartmann <frank.hartmann@chello.at>
          Florian Cramer <paragram@gmx.net>

From: "Frank Hartmann" <frank.hartmann@chello.at>
Subject: RE: Wolfgang Schirmacher: Media Aesthetics in Europe
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:21:36 +0100

Ahh, finally. The continental media discussion
has just seen a revival of heavily speculative
media philosophy (Peter Sloterdijk's
indigestable "Sphaerologie", three volumes) and
while some academics, including Martin
Burckhardt, Manfred Fassler or more
conservative, Martin Seel actually are
addressing media aesthetics issues for serveral
years now, the theory community is just waiting
for another dinosaur of the Gutenberg-Galaxy to
hop on the train. Sigrid Schade and Georg Tholen
recently published the reader "Konfigurationen"
(plus CDrom) on the arts and media, including an
essay by Hans Dieter Bahr on philosophy and the
media. The whole Kittler-camarilla is dealing
with media aesthetics. There are aesthetic
experiments beyond the text, for example the
interesting Deleuze-Project by Marc Ries and
others (http://thing.at/immedia/indexxli.htm),
etc.

The problem we can observe is "canonisation",
since nothing counts as "Philosophy" unless an
academic departement honours it to be so (this
is why non of the above quotes Flusser). There
is the indispensable condition of relating to
one of the classical authors. The guild
principle is what counts. Further, are
philosophers still searching for a "worthwhile
topic"? Even farts proved to be one
(Deleuze/Guattari, and Sloterdijk again). And
now "THINK MEDIA", hey, are they going for funds
here or what. Let us skip criticism, let's go
aesthetics?

Yes Geert, it is an odd text, and you know why:
traditional philosophy not only denied its own
social sources, but also its own mediality as
embedded in a book-culture. This is why it is so
hard to apply traditional philosophy on the new
media situation - or when someone does, why it
is so boring within a discourse which becomes
more and more intertwined.

Frank Hartmann

Some philosophy resources from my new book
("Medienphilosophie", published at UTB,
Jan.2000)
are added below:

As we may think --