Randall Packer on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:26:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] New Media Forum I : "The Art of Software"

Title: New Media Forum I : "The Art of Software"
New Media Forum I
Presented by the Maryland Institute College of Art
and the MICA Center for New Media

Mark NAPIER
"The Art of Software"

Time: Thursday, November 14, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: Mount Royal Station Auditorium (S3)
Maryland Institute College of Art
Mount Royal Ave. & Cathedral Street, Baltimore
All Lectures are free and open to the public
Reception will follow

Mark NAPIER has created a wide range of projects which appropriate the data of the Web, transforming it into a parallel Web - in which content becomes abstraction, text becomes graphics, and information becomes art.

Mark Napier, painter-turned-digital-artist, is one of the early pioneering artists of the Internet to exploit the potential of a worldwide public space. Creating artwork exclusively for the Web, including such seminal works as "The Shredder," "Digital Landfill" and "Feed," he has embraced an unprecedented artistic form that gives the viewer the freedom to recontextualize the medium, to shred its contents. Most recently his worked have been included in leading exhibitions of digital art, including: the Whitney Museum of American Art Biennial Exhibition, the Whitney's Bitstreams exhibition, and the San Francisco Museum of Art's 010101: Art in the Age of Technology.

Mark Napier's on-line projects:
http://www.potatoland.org/

***********

The New Media Forum is presented by the Center for New Media of the Maryland Institute College of Art in association with the Digital Media Center of Johns Hopkins University. The 2002-2003 Forum is a series of lecture/presentations by leading media artists, focusing on multiple perspectives that explore the changing cultural phenomena resulting from the convergence of art and technology.

Upcoming Lectures:

Tuesday, February 18th
Alex GALLOWAY, "How to Hack Multiplayer Games"
Alex GALLOWAY will discuss a new technique of "game remixing ," whereby two or more multiplayer game servers are collaged together in real time.

Tuesday, March 18th
Margot LOVEJOY, "A Turn-Table"
Margot LOVEJOY will provide an exploration of  her work on several fronts, regarding new roles, new themes, new experiments in finding participation and audience.

Tuesday, April 15th
Perry HOBERMAN, "Unexpected Obstacles"
Perry HOBERMAN will comment on the influence of technology on our perception and the determination of our every-day life through his installations and interactive environments. In this way, he expresses the euphoria of many utopias in both a nostalgic and sarcastic way.

For more information:

MICA Center for New Media
Randall Packer, Director
http://cnm.mica.edu