Francis Hwang on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:19:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> how to defeat activism

MWP wrote:

>David Garcia wrote:
>
>  > > ...the artist's iconic status as imaginative outlaw and
>exemplar of freedom
>  > and the imagination has been replaced by that of the hacker.
>
>You've got to be kidding! Outlaw, perhaps, but freedom and
>imagination? Please!
>These guys sit at computers and blindly type strings of random words into
>unforgiving blank spaces all day in anticipation of that brief
>moment of reward.
>They are glorified carnival chickens. Give me a break.

Right. Meanwhile artists blindly fling paint at unforgiving blank
canvases all day in anticipation of ... what, exactly?

I'm not down with David's formulation either -- it's a big world, so
there's room for artists and hackers -- but let's be fair. Any
vocation can sound petty if you decide to describe in completely
inaccurate terms.

Francis