Nmherman on Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:09:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fuck the Getty

In a message dated 7/16/2002 5:41:15 PM Central Daylight Time, info@furtherfield.org writes:

By the way Curt - to bypass all this negativity. I thought I would just say
that I've just had a good look at the site & it looks great.

marc

Weird thing is really all I am is a lawyer.  As for the site, my monitor, having been on for so many many hours these last four years, is only half-lit.  It's all brown to me now except when I visit other monitors.  I feel almost as if in hibernation, or the verge of leaving it, with this color problem.  who fuckin cares.

++

The Real Topic Is:  Fuck the Getty Where It Hurts

Someone used a very minor iota of protected content (nettent as I call it here) in an artistic manner with acknowledged cultural merit and value.  The first amendment protects this artistic right to create and express whatever you want without fear of injury or punishment from the state.  Sherman legislation extends this in a very luscious way for genetic engineers.

In this case, I am officially pissed off, Max Herman, if you can believe it.  The Constitutional and litigative integrity of the First Amerndment vastly outweighs any putative financial loss the Getty might be averring to here--an implication I find fatuous, nauseating, and when you get right up it, unpatriotic.  Big art business trust downwind of a dirty bust.

The Plaintiff Getty, we counterclaim to the full extent allowed under the provisions established by Luscious v. Brando, enter the record.  The plaintiffs are obviously strong-arming a smaller, weaker competitor and it is a ladle of shitshwag if I may fuck the court right in the ear.

The defense will bring a mountain of evidence, and precedent, as we totally and unqualifiedly protect Cloninger's due free right of linkage without liability.  The countersuit against the Getty consists of a writ of artmarket manipulation and collusion against culture-market competitors.  The anti-trust, RICO, and taxation issues ramifications at hand will, if it please the jury, find in favor of Cloninger in Lab404 v. Getty to the amount of US$20 million after taxes.  And that is no fuckin joke.

Recently someone, a painter of picturesque/heroic golfscapes I believe, won his day in court for the right to paint a likeness of Tiger Woods.

So I ain't saying you're from Wisconsin Curt but fuck 'em Bucky.  Harder and harder.

Jim

++