April on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:04:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 07-11-2002 [ Word Tricks - Double Spacing and Sorting ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

NNY Times Crosswords
Play hundreds of different crossword puzzles!

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $12.95!

Ulead PhotoImpact 6
Awesome graphics program - great for the web!

Only $34.97!

Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 w/ FREE Myst Game
The best encyclopedia with the # 1 game of all time!

Only $24.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $19.97!

Announcements

Perfect Cookbook
(Hey guys, don't skip this - if you don't want it, your wife or girlfriend may!)

We have had this title in the past and it's our #1, best selling CD ROM cookbook. It's the Light & Tasty Deluxe Cookbook by WeightWatchers (and no, it's not just recipes that involve lettuce and carrots. This stuff looks really good). We've sold nearly 2000 of these since we opened our software store early last year.

Now, if you think this is just a cookbook on CD ROM, you're sadly mistaken. It's got lots of cool features you just can't find in a regular cookbook. Here's just a few:

  • 2,250 different low fat, great tasting recipes from 10 of Weight Watchers top selling cookbooks. Everything from salads to desserts is included.
  • Scale your recipes for the serving size YOU need. Just tell the program how many people you're having over and it will adjust the ingredients accordingly!
  • Grocery lists made simple. With a point and a click you can have the program print out a shopping list of the ingredients you'll need for a particular recipe.
  • 125 videos that show you how to do everything from kneading dough to poaching fish. Very helpful for us novices :-)
  • Add your own recipes or modify existing ones!
  • Analyze recipes (even your own) for calories, fat, fiber, nutritional value and more. Great for those of us who dieting (or trying to :-)
  • E-mail a recipe to a friend or print it out for easy use (you can even print out on 3x5 or 4x6 index cards).
  • This even includes a glossary and "cooking methods" in case you need additional help with the recipe.

And LOTS more!!

The price for this software is only $12.95, with free shipping in the US. As always, we have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so you risk nothing.

Here's a link for more info:

Click Here For The Weight Watchers Cookbook!

If you like to cook, you don't want to miss out on this one. We are expecting a huge response to this offer, so make sure you get your order in ASAP or you may miss out.

MS Office 101

Word: Double Spacing

By default, MS Word documents are single-spaced, which is great for most of what we do. But, what about that small percentage of documents where you need things double-spaced?

Now, as I've said before, I'm a teacher. I have a lot of opportunities to see how people (both students and staff) are using their technology. I'm always amazed when I find someone using the enter key to double-space their writing. What a nightmare! Ever try to edit a paragraph when you've hit the enter key at the end of each line? Not a pretty sight. (Not to mention the extremely large headache you end up with.)

So, for those of you who haven't found where to get the double spacing set, let's end your nightmare.

Double spacing is set through the Format menu, Paragraphs option.

In the middle section of the Paragraph window entitled Spacing, you will find the Line spacing options on the right side.

Using the pull-down menu you can select double-spaced or whatever you like, there are several choices.

Once you've made your choice, click on the OK button.

Next logical question: What if I've already typed everything, how do I double space?

Answer: Simply highlight the entire document (Ctrl + A) and then follow the instructions to double-space the text.

Question: But what if I want to double-space only a section of the document?

Answer: You have two choices. You could turn the double spacing on at the point it's needed, type the text and then turn it off when you've completed the section. Or you could go ahead and type the text single-spaced. Then you would highlight the text to be double-spaced and follow the above process.

That's it - all the space you could ever want and then some!

Office Tip of the Day

Word: Sorting Data

Have you ever found yourself wishing that the list you just typed into MS Word was alphabetized? Or, for those of you who are good with Excel, you're probably wishing that you typed the list in Excel in the first place (where it's so easy to sort data).

Well, stop dwelling on the "should have, could have" stuff and smile. It's very easy to sort data in MS Word!

Here's all you have to do.

The first thing would be to get the list into Word. So type away.

**A quick note here: If you want the list double spaced, then set the paragraph to be double spaced (see the MS Office 101 tip above). Do not simply hit the enter button twice! It will become an editing nightmare and when the sorting is finished, it will put all of the blank spaces at the top of the list, leaving the data single spaced anyway.

Now that you've got the typing finished, let's move on.

Here's how you begin the sort (alphabetizing).

  • Highlight the entire list.
  • Then, go to the Table menu, choose the Sort option. The Sort Text window will pop up:

The default is set up to Sort by Paragraphs, type of Text, Ascending. This will make your list alphabetical A to Z. (Descending will reverse the list to Z to A.)

At the bottom of the window there is an option of telling the program that your list has a header row (or title). You would use this option to prevent the program from sorting your highlighted title into the list. (In other words, the first row stays in place regardless of its first letter.)

  • Click OK.

You will be returned to the document and you should see that the list is now in order.

And just like magic, everything is in its proper place. (Next week, I'm having a Sort button installed on my house...)

P. S. The Sort function also works on data in tables. This is why there are so many sort fields in the window. But that's a completely different tip.

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org