nizami on Wed, 1 May 2002 17:08:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> Palestine and Le Pen

> Naomi Klein's article to the Globe and Mail is a perfect example of a
> distraction to drown out legitimate criticism of Israel by fanning the
> flames of anti-Semitism.

No. I don't think it is. Read it again, and you will see
that you actually agree with her. She points out that
Sharon is trying to exert a stranglehold on anti-semitism,
milking the fear of it throughout the jewish diaspora.
At the same time, people like le Pen find it easy to
leverage support against racist agendas where there are
concerns in 'brown' areas of the world, like the Middle East.

Klein:
> The hatred of Jews is a potent political tool in the hands of the right
> in Europe and in Israel. For Mr. Le Pen, anti-Semitism is a windfall,
helping
> spike his support from 10 per cent to 17 per cent in a week.
> For Ariel Sharon, it is the fear of anti-Semitism, both real and imagined,
> that is the weapon.

Horvath:
> Her assertion that "the only people Mr. Le Pen's supporters
> seem to dislike more than Jews are Arabs" is quite incorrect.
> Len Pen's fascism is more against Arabs than Jews

Obviously, disliking the arabs more than the jews is similar to
fascism more against arabs than jews.

> the likes of Klein end up twisting events out of context in order
> to serve their ignominious purpose.

There are those who quite obviously and explicitly have an
unconditionally pro-Israel, pro-IDF stance. The Rabbi
Jonathan Sacks in the UK, for example. However, I don't think
Klein is one of 'them'. You sound eerily - and i hesitate
before using this word - racist in your statement 'the likes
of klein'.

Ignoring her central claim - to not simply echo the ludicrous
position of the bushites - us and them - you would do well to
heed your own advice: