Ivo Skoric on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:09:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Sharon's best weapon

I know this sounds odd from an anti-globalist - but I believe that
Sharon's actions can harm the global stability. He is playing the
same fear game that Milosevic and his copy-cat Balkan strongmen
played. The Ustasha will come and slaughter you like they did in
the WW II. The more Serbs in Bosnia and Croatia feared the
separation from Yugoslavia, the stronger Milosevic's power was.

However, Milosevic is now in The Hague. All Western democracies
stood together and called his bluff. This is not a case with Sharon.
Because the Americans simply don't want to give him up,
regardless of how disgusting his actions are. Consequently,
Sharon's policies drove a wedge, a dangerous wedge, in the US -
Western Europe relationship. Something that Milosevic tried to do
for a couple of years but without much success.

And there is a global backlash against Jews, provoked by Sharon's
cunning malice. He, indeed, equalizes his political platform for
Israel with protecting the entire Jewish cause worldwide. More and
more this creates critique not only of Israel but also of Jews in
general. And in turn rises fears of anti-semitsm around Jewish
population outside Israel - the fears that Sharon can well exploit,
just as Milosevic did. "Everybody is against us" mentality serves
military dictator personalities like Sharon well.

But, there is a connection between driving Jewish tanks over Arab
teenagers and neo-nazi political victories in European
democracies. I wonder whether Sharon completely understands to
what kind of dangers he is opening his own state and people that
he wowed to protect.

ivo