Nmherman on Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:03:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Juvenilia Ante Academia 4/4

Nickolas Herman
Master's Dossier
Prof. Keith Gilyard
May 1, 1998

        Instrumental vs. Communicative Literacy:  The Institutional
            Practice of Myth, Taboo, and Intersubjectivity

    In the work of this seminar over the course of the semester, the issue of
literacy has been brought up in the context of two central questions:  what
literacy is, and how it can best be brought to more people (taught).  These
two questions are integrally linked, because often in the past false
definitions of literacy have been used to insure the possession of "literacy"
by only a privileged few, thus insuring that their power and authority will
not be questioned.  In other words, the way we define literacy is crucial to
determining how to bring it to more people.  In this paper I will try to work
toward a definition of literacy as communicative in nature, and will contrast
this definition to one which has recurred numerous times throughout the
course:  the instrumental definition.  This distinction as to "what literacy
is" will then serve as my starting point for how best to "teach" or expand
the literate sphere.  My argument will be that whereas communicative literacy
is intrinsically inclusive, instrumental literacy is in fact organized around
and intended to perpetuate the exclusion of particular groups.  This
exclusion takes place in an institutional setting, where instrumentalized
literacy uses the twin forces of myth (in Graff's sense as well as others)
and taboo to carefully and purposefully create an "illiterate" class.

    As a preliminary discussion, the difference between "instrumental" and
"communicative" needs to be clarified.  The two concepts are clearly not
polar opposites at first glance, but if placed in a somewhat more complex
framework it is clear that there are significant conflicts between them.  One
helpful figure to use in elaborating these differences is the distinction
between "end" and "means."  Any object or process which has an intrinsic
value we call "an end in itself;" and on the other hand, if an object or
process has value only insofar as it leads to some other result outside
itself, we call it a "means only."
    These two categories--ends and means--are clearly not absolute, but in
many situations they are quite legitimate and help to distinguish the subtler
idea of instrumentality.  One example of a largely instrumental object is a
hammer (to choose a trivial example).  The hammer exists and is designed for
the purpose of driving nails, and has very little value in its own right--for
example, to be hung on the wall as a work of art, or to sit and enjoy a
sunset.  In this sense, a hammer is to a very great degree "a means," most
meaningful in the results beyond itself which it can facilitate.
    A contrast to this highly instrumental object is the human being, which
Immanuel Kant said should always be treated as an end in itself and never as
means only.  In this case, to define a person's value and meaning exclusively
by some function of which s/he is capable--say, the mining of coal--can
result in a severe diminishment and oppression of that person.  Although a
person is capable of carrying out the instrumental function of mining coal,
there are many other elements of human nature (from the need for food to the
right of freedom and dignity) which limit the extent to which the definition
of the person as a "means for mining coal only" is legitimate.  For Kant,
this imperative of treating humans as ends in themselves was a fundamental
moral obligation, particularly relevant in a time of severe economic
exploitation.
    The opposition of "communicative" versus "instrumental" paradigms of
language are informed by a similar moral criterion:  it must be rigorously
scrutinized whether any given definition of literate practice in any way
treats a person's use of language as "a means only," able to be shaped at
will with no harm to the person, or whether the rights and principles of
communication must be seen as "ends in themselves" for human language-use,
and always binding on whatever language-practices humans are socially
required to participate in.
    The question of how literacy is affected by this concept of
instrumentality has been a recurring theme throughout the coursework and
readings this semester.  In my first short paper, I examined two important
theoretical approaches which possess problems connected to their use of an
instrumentalized view of language.  The first example I used was the work of
the linguist L.S. Vygotsky, in his essay "Thought and Word."  Vygotsky
maintains that language develops in humans through a process whereby
"internal, semantic meaning" becomes separated from language's "external,
phonetic aspect" (C/L 72).  After this separation, each of the two separate
planes can develop independently, which allows an individual psyche to form
and permits the reflective thought that for Vygotsky represents the height of
language development.  In the second example I noted, Benjamin Whorf's essay
"The Relationship Between Language and Thought," the view of how language
shapes the mind is somewhat different:  Whorf thinks that the
"linguistically-determined thought-world" (C/L 95) into which each person is
born profoundly shapes the type of thought humans can achieve.  In this case,
I noted Finegan and Besnier's observation that "Sapir and Whorf overestimated
the variability in the structure of languages" (C/L 101), which reveals
Whorf's error in thinking that it is language-systems that shape cognition,
and never vice-versa.
    In the cases of both Vygotsky and Whorf, I wrote that "both analyses
assert too free and disconnected a course of development in language, a
course that has not been borne out by further study" (NH 1:4).  This
disconnection, I argued, resulted in an excessively instrumental view of
language.  Vygotsky saw language as being highly influential in shaping the
human psyche, and that this shaping capacity derived from a separation of two
"planes" of language.  This implies an instrumental view, because it suggests
that the mind is not already programmed to use language in a particular way
but can be "taught" to use it any of a vast or even infinite number of ways.
The work of Steven Pinker was my counterpoint to Vygotsky, suggesting that
Vygotsky had neglected to consider certain limits on the arbitrariness and
constructedness of language development.
    Whorf's instrumentality was somewhat the reverse:  he argued that human
language-systems developed over long historical time-spans, and then strongly
controlled the kinds of thoughts speakers of that language could have.  In
this view, language is still highly instrumental.  There is no innate
language ability, with which all people are born and which is capable of
articulating a full range of psychological and emotional impressions.
Rather, for Whorf, language serves as a "means" --unconnected to any internal
linguistic/cognitive givens--for creating the "end" of any of a theoretically
unlimited number of human cognitive makeups.  Although the arbitrary shaping
force of language is exerted by historical time, and not developmental
immediacy, Whorf's analysis is still highly instrumental by our earlier
definition.