Christopher Fahey [askrom] on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:45:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> un-plugged-in digest [sawad, fahey, napier]

> Flash remains essentially "media," as you define it, much
> as Quicktime. I don't think that scripting separates it from
> being so.
> I also think that many non-artist programmers would resist
> referring to Flash as a programming language. Well, they
> would giggle. Programmers tend to think of C/C++, Fortran,
> Basic, Java as their materials.

Any programmer who giggles at the idea of Flash as a programming
language is uninformed. Your comparison of Flash to Quicktime is
ridiculously uninformed.

ActionScript is a robust, object-oriented, ECMA-262-compliant
programming language, roughly identical in syntax, structure, and
sophistication to JavaScript. I'm not saying that JavaScript is the most
powerful language in the world, but you cannot deny that it IS a
programming language.

This is what Flash is: Flash is a multi-platform run-time environment
that executes ActionScript code. It allows ActionScript to manipulate
multimedia elements. The multimedia elements can be vector graphics,
bitmapped graphics, sound, and animations/videos. The manipulations are
done by treating the multimedia elements as objects.

What makes Flash different from, say, JRE? It's easier to use, it is
easier to manage the inclusion of media elements, it's nearly
ubiquitous, and, well, it's slower and less powerful code-wise.

What makes Flash different from, say, JavaScript? It's all in the GUI:
Where JavaScript is designed for manipulating HTML objects in a web
browser environment, ActionScript is designed for manipulating Flash
multimedia elements in the Flash Player environment. And the Flash
Player is *way* more powerful than any web browser in terms of
presenting and manipulating user interface elements and multimedia.

Anyway, it sounds like the last time you (and many others in the snobby
"Flash is not real programming!" camp) looked at Flash was in 1999. Take
another look. As I said to someone else recently, multimedia is only
about 5% of what Flash is. Check out this site to learn about how
ActionScript is a 'real' programming language:
   http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/12/07/action.html

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com