Lachlan Brown on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:48:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Tolkien is fiction, not good government of a forum for academicdebate? true or false

The point of my intervention was whether
IT related discourses or cultural discourses
were more appropriate for admin and governance'
of academic inquiry. I think that
the latter are, not merely because the association in question (AoIR)actually has a
cultural studies mandate, but because the former IT seems to rely on Tolkien's imaginary
systems of government, many of which
have not been implemented because the
creatures he describes under these systems
of government, plausible thought they appear,
 do not exist. I mean wakey, wakey AoIR.

Reading recent posts to AIR I see my good
and to date entirely unsullied name is being dragged by AIR members through
the mud of the Brandywine toward Rivendell on one side in a merry (and rather scary) regression by some members into Usenet folklore, and being cited to argue constitutional issues on the other, to argue
for clubs or associations free of the opinions of others who would deny them their right. (As is their right under the 1st Ammendment).

I apparently am denying them a right. This
is appalling defamation of the worst kind.
'Troll' is a derogatory term, a Troll is a large hairy beast that jumps from caves and frightens people in Scandenavia. Trolling is
a fishing term, implying false questions
meant to mislead and deceive.

WhatI have been doing is of course cultural studies:

Perhaps we can recognise what's going on in AIR for what it is Othering. Its very weird
to see this unfolding. It is very scary to be
subject to these descriptions and identifications. And any mention of Othering should include Nationalism.

I am learning a lot about America 'at this
present time', I hope other people are too.

I was thinking of going to Chicago in April.

I dunno now.

Land of the free, eh?

Lachlan