Lachlan Brown on Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:07:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: St Columba...

I liked this post, and I like copyleft as a political stance. However
what I don't like is dozens of salaried
people carving up the work (theres a lot more of it, there's always more, my research has been so productive) of someone who has no income to speak of - I mean we are talking
monastic poverty without the monastery -
and who has a right to the fruits of his intellectual labour. I can see how politics
might enter into this, but they are
pretty far right politics in this instance.

Lachlan

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:44:22 -0800
From: Somebody
To: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah@SHIPWRIGHT.COM>
Subject: Re: St. Columba: The patron saint of copyleft...

You may want to be careful with that word "copyleft." It does not, as your
mail implies, stand as an opposite to "copyright." Quite the opposite, in
fact: copyleft is the exercise of copyright for a political purpose, to
force software freedom (as in liberty) upon consumers as a condition of
use, which of course would be quite impossible without the power of
copyright to wield over them.

The facile opposite of copyright is, I suppose, public domain. But then
copyright was supposedly invented to entice creation into the open that would
otherwise have remained secret (or un-made), so depending on whose
politics you subscribe to, the functional opposite of copyright may well
be "trade secret". Would the monk have lent his manuscript, had he known
of the intent to copy without compensation?

<Somebody's .sig>