Michael Gurstein on Sat, 2 Mar 2002 23:04:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] FW: Peer-to-Peer Pump Priming for Progress

Killing two e-turkeys with one e-gram...

-----Original Message-----
From: cisler [mailto:cisler@pobox.com]
Sent: February 27, 2002 12:43 PM
Cc: Cisler
Subject: Peer-to-Peer Pump Priming for Progress

Peer-to-peer Pump Priming for Progress: a business proposition

Good day sir/madam/network administrator:

Can you be surprised to receive this letter? No, I thought not. Your
establishment is well known, and I received your email and contact
information from your embassy and the domain registrar. My name is Frances
Kellyng, and I was oversight officer for Global Crossing and Enron companies
in the area of network services.  As you know, both companies have declared
bankruptcy, but in November, 2001, before all of the bad news was public,
CEO's John Legere and Kenneth Lay, began re-allocating various resources
into safe areas, off-shore banks, and storage media away from company
properties.

I know most of the subsequent publicity concerned the flow of money, yet Lay
instructed his lieutenants to charge up more than 2 million NiMH batteries
and shipped these to a storage depot in an abandoned salt mine in Kansas.
This electricity is still unaccounted for. Were it recovered, it could
supply more than one million PDA users with electricity for two days, or
personal vibrator owners with hundreds of thousands of hours of pleasure.

Secretly, Legere, on the other hand, commandeered two container loads of
fiber-optic cable and siphoned off more than 83 terabits which are flowing
in a loop but off the Internet backbone of Global Crossing. These
semi-trailers are running off of diesel generators in the Nevada desert near
Black Rock Desert. Luckily, I have network topology charts for both Enron
and Global Crossing, and I have located more than 224 terabits of bandwidth
hidden in supposedly dark fiber.  For instance, Michael Eisner (CEO of
Disney, Inc) has a house in Aspen, Colorado with 24 miles (about 40 km) of
fiber, but he just spends two weeks in December at the residence, and so I
have been able to store a great deal of bandwidth there for the time being.

Lamentably, I know of the problems of Internet access and constrained data
flow in places where the market and regulations have not kept up with the
demand by citizens and businesses for better connectivity.

Even though this bandwidth will benefit your business and other
organizations located in countries where connectivity is scarce, your help
is essential.  Because the bandwidth caches are in such large quantities, I
need the assistance of places where there is a shortage.  As you know,
nature abhors a vacuum, but in this case, nature needs a little push. Sort
of a peer-to-peer pump priming to start the flow. The disequillibrium
between the bandwidth excess here and the relative void in your network can
be negated if you send me 50 Gigabytes of data (no spam please) for every
terabit that you can use.  While I realize this is a sizable chunk for a
country such as yours, the benefits will be substantial. The data can
include digitized cultural patrimony, personal data of citizens and
companies, GIS and cartographic information, geologic and soil surveys,
newspaper data banks, and consumer spending habits for your country.

Realistically, the best procedure is to send me your network servers and
routers access information, as well as your personal cellular and fixed
phone numbers. I will then provide a trace route between your site and one
of the banks of bits. Once you have primed the terabit pump with your
contribution, your personal terabit transfer will take place. It is best to
keep this extremely confidential, and you must act quickly because the
topology maps I have may be out-of-date as the company resources are
re-deployed or sold. Let us work together to put this bandwidth to good use,

Frances Kellyng