Paul D. Miller on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:44:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Cybernetic Jazz

There's a funny convergence going on these days in the electronic
music scene. I like to call it "the artist as shareware" or something
like that. Think about when Duke Ellington used to talk about
Marshall Mcluhan and flip it into Anthony Braxton's jazz symbol
systems, and voila! Welcome to 21st century "Nu-Bop." Jazz, after
all, is derived from the French verb "jazzer" - which translates
simply as "to have a conversation." This dialog took place in NYC and
basically, this is a conversation between the jazz composer Matthew
Shipp and me about compositional strategies in digital media and
contemporary sound art. Shipp is working on a series of jazz projects
incorporating electronic media into a jazz context. He's considered
to be one of the premier young jazz composers in New York. More info
on him can be found at
www. matthewshipp.com

Like Sun Ra used to say "the Nubians of Plutonia are just fragments
of a dream yet to be..." I like to think of these kinds of dialogs as
an update on the whole "systems" debate - music as shareware, the
artist as shareware etc etc Drum patterns as nets in time...
beat/pulse... think of it as a scene in Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying
of Lot 49's" electronic music club, or Ralph Ellison's "Invisible
Man."

Paul

Dialectics of Entropy/Code/Cybernetic Jazz
a conversation between Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that
Subliminal Kid and Matthew Shipp.

>NYC 2002

skip/fade/enter>goto>>

> [...]
>continues, that flow of the language, and the dedication to the specifics of
>that language, albeit trying to mutate and grow organically. And I think
>it's just such a beautiful thing. And when you look at William Parker, you
>see the apotheosis of that whole trend of language, since the '30s and '40s
>in that neighborhood. And when you use that word "purity," it's dangerous,
>but I want to use it in the sense of that focus and its strength, yet it
>keeps naturally growing and evolving.
>      There are people out there who say the people in my school are just
>doing the same old free jazz. But those people don't have ears or they have
>something blocking their ears, beacuse there's a fresh energy that exists
>now, that's different from the  energy of the 70s or the 60s, but at the
>same time I do think its time for something new!
>
>Paul: There's a friend of mine the writer, Mckenzie Wark that talks
>about how, 'we no
>longer have roots, we have aerials' - for him , contemporary life is
>all about just taking in all the frequencies. And there's another
>writer, Erik Davis, who always talks about the religious
>impulse in technology and I always think about music as an abstraction of
>all of these issues. We're the rootless generation, and/or the generation
>that looks down and sees frequencies instead of the ground. Thats why I
>enjoyed it when you were talking about your music as an extension of the
>nervous system. These days, I'm now beginning to think of my mind as an
>interlocking series of archives, just fragments of piles of snippets of CDs
>and records and movie clips, and even this conversation will be just another
>digital clip. It's be turned into a .wav file and will be sent up to Pete up
>at the magazine, and he can burn it to CD-R or sample it if he likes. And
>the funny thing is, the next generation of kids will be growing up with that
>sense of the world. To me jazz is all about conversations, but now it's also
>about a series of file transfers and making one computer talk to
>another. I like to call it "cybernetic jazz" or "dlialectics of
>entropy" or just plain old "collaborative filtering." Derrida liked
>to call it "archive fever." Your average kid would call it
>"wildstyle."  It's a flipped out cognitive model I guess...
>
>Shipp: Sun Ra was always going into the depths of his spirit in order to go
>to the outer reaches of the universe. I keep coming back to the holograph,
>that's the essence to me of relating to the piano as an acoustic instrument
>but also as a system of languages, of technologies, even, that's not unlike
>a computer. To me, you have 12 notes, or 8 notes in the octave, or whatever,
>but an infinity of wavelengths within that, an infinity of relationships
>between the rhtyhms that encapsulates every bit of information that's out
>there. I can see the world in one grain of sand, as William Blake said.

Some of Dj Spooky's favorite websites for sound art and digital media:

1. Automated Bruce Lee - this website records a whole bunch of famous
Bruce Lee fight scenes and breaks them up into small files that can
be triggered from your laptop keyboard. They call it being a "key-jay"
www.skop.com/brucelee/brucelee.htm

2. Sharware Music Machine: This has some of the most extensively
archived music software sites on the web. Absolutely amazing how many
people are writing music software these days...
www.hitsquad.com/

3. Adventures in Cyber Sound - this site is maintained by a fellow is
one of the most archive crazy people I've ever encountered. It's got
a stunning amount of historical information on digital media and
sound art.

www.acmi.net.au/AIC/phd3000.html

4. Erik Davis's Figments and Inklings: Erik is one of the main
editors at Wired Magazine and is an old friend of mine. His last book
"Techgnosis" is all about the way we think about technology in a
religious context. Pretty wild stuff:
http://www.levity.com/figment/

5. Afro-futurism: this is a list-serv that I was the first moderator
of. It's edited and run by a woman named Alondra Nelson, who teaches
African American cultural studies up at Yale. It's got a solid
archive of progressive African American culture. Great stuff:
www.afrofuturism.net/

Dj Spooky's Top 11 composers:

1. Olly Wilson - yeahhh boyee! This gent is the first African
American composer to use tape loops in his compositions back in the
day. He's a big hero of mine.
2. Pauline Oliveros - she's got such a great, progressive take on
ambient music.
3. Butch Morris - I love his ideas about improvisation - "conduction"
- conducted improvisation - is all about 21st century wildstylz...
4. Dj Krush - he's an old associate of mine... Japan's finest.
5. Sun Ra - what more can I say about him... one of the all time greats.
6. Ernst Krenek - he wrote an opera called "Johny Spielt Auf" that
was banned by the Nazi's as "entarte musik" ("degenerate music") but
it was the first large scale presentation of work to really engage
jazz and machines and the urban landscape. Absolutely stunning
theater sets as well. The Nazi's hated it so much they made it a
symbol of everything they hated: the logo of the posters they put up
whenever it played was a caricature of what they thought about jazz -
a sambo lookin' character with big lips playing a saxophone, and
wearing a tuxedo that had a star of David on the lapel. Super weird...
7. Iannis Xenakis - systems music, algorithmic composition... I wish
he was still around. "Metamorphosis" is the Rosetta Stone of
alogrithmic composition.
8. John Cage - "Cheap Imitation" is one of those pieces you just have
to go back to over and over and over
9. Grand Master Flash - "yes yes y'all... "Adventures on the Wheels
of Steel" - post modern Odyssey, or something like that.
10. Afrika Bambaata - Kraftwerk - think of tthe Tate Modern Museum as
one big "gesamkunstwerk" - rhythm science for the Beat Generation.
Bambaata is the key to it all. Electricity and rhythm. The true
Bionic Man.
11. The Bomb Squad - Public was bringin' the noize way before drum n
bass, and the way they flipped breakbeats is still the model for
rhythm science. Can you say "cold lampin!?"

Wildcard:
Alice Coltrane - I like to think of her style as a kind of "prolonged
present" that ambient music creates, but the way she engages that
kind of minimalism is so organic, so enveloping, that it offers a
kind of alter-space for compisiton like a funky Terry Riley or Eric
Satie. She's a genius.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Subliminal Kid Inc.

Office Mailing Address:

Music and Art Management
245 w14th st #2RC NY NY