Jason Diceman on Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:07:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Faith in the empire?

"ETHNIC CLEANSING: The most politically incorrect video game ever made. Run
through the ghetto blasting away various blacks and spics in an attempt to
gain entrance to the subway system...where the jews have hidden to avoid the
carnage. Then if your lucky you can blow away jews as they scream "Oy Vey!",
on your way to their command center."
<http://www.resistance.com/ethniccleansing/catalog.htm>

I wish this was surprising.  Unfortunately it is only a small media artifact
that represents the horrible ethnic relations within the USA.

The game is made by Resistance records.
"Resistance is operated by members of The National Alliance
(www.natall.com), which
the ADL recently called "the most active and dangerous neo-Nazi
organization,"
so all [profits] help spread [their] message to people of European Descent
everywhere."
<http://www.resistance.com/aboutus.html>

Their website has been actively promoting the label and its racist ideas
since August 16, 1995.
<http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.resistance.com>

It's only one of many other hate groups in the USA...

<http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Issues/Race-Ethnic-Religious_Relati
ons/Hate/Hate_Groups/>

In other news...

The U.S. Department of Justice states that the incarceration rate in the USA
has more than tripled since 1980.
<http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance.htm#Corrections>

More than half of U.S. adults are overweight and nearly one-quarter of U.S.
adults are obese.
<http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/pubs/statobes.htm>

Not to mention the income distribution of the United States makes an
astronomically unfair L-curve:
<http://www.davidchandler.com/lcurve/>

>From these and other similar points of information, it is fair to say that
the USA has many domestic issues that should concern the average citizen.

But what do the Americans think?

If you want to have an idea what the average American adult learns about
their world from the popular medium of TV, try watching Fox
<http://foxnews.com> (Apparently, Fox News has overtaken CNN in ratings).
<http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2002/01/29/fox_cnn/>

Point:  If the majority of Americans depend on commercial TV as their source
of news, then the majority are relatively unaware of the extent and reasons
for their major domestic problems.

Enter the soft technological determinist argument...

As TV viewers are switching to the net as their source of news,
<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/onlinenews_poll011017.html
> their picture of their world will change.  The plethora of contextualized
facts and explanations will allow many more Americans to recognize and grasp
the serious issues in their nation.

A possibility...

As more Americans gain a more complete understanding of their country's real
problems, more will lose their faith in America.  The number and intensity
of dissidents in the US will continue to increase until major governmental
changes take place to address the social issues.

In short, the empire will crumble from within.