_|¯`·.¸_¸.·´¯`·.¸_¸.·´¯|_ on Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:20:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The Uncanny: Experiments in Cyborg Culture and STELARC

hoi,
greetings from out west in Vancouver.
kevin.
-------------------------
Pacific Art and Technology Alliance Series:
Zombies & Cyborgs
STELARC
Monday, February 11, 2002 at 8 PM
at Western Front
303 E. 8th Avenue, Vancouver
$8 members / $10 non-members
http://www.front.bc.ca/details.p?record=1275
STELARC
http://www.stelarc.va.com.au/

-------------------------
The Uncanny: Experiments
in Cyborg Culture
Opens February 9, 2002
at Vancouver Art Gallery
750 Hornby Street, Vancouver
Adults  $11.00
Runs until May 26
http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/

Today we see the cyborg everywhere around us - Arnold Schwarzenegger's
Terminator, Star Trek's Borg, William Gibson's cyberpunks and Nintendo's
GameBoy. The Uncanny is a wide-ranging exhibition that explores historical
and contemporary representation of the cybernetic body - the combination of
human and machine - in the visual arts and popular culture.

The exhibition proceeds from the premise that the image of the cyborg has
traditionally provided our culture with a visual metaphor for the anxiety
that accompanied the growing presence of the machine in western culture.
Modern culture¹s representation of the cyborg shuttles between a celebratory
fascination with the machine and an intense anxiety around masculinity and
mechanical equipment.

Key historical works will include a 19th century automaton, 19th century
scientific photography and early 20th artworks by Marcel Duchamp, Pablo
Picasso, Fernand Léger and Francis Picabia. The exhibition will also include
contemporary works by Tony Oursler, Moriko Mori, Gary Hill, Takashi
Murakami, Lee Bul, Survival Research Lab and many more. Both the historical
and contemporary sections of the exhibition will be supplemented with
popular cultural representations of the cyborg ranging from 19th century
illustrations and prints to contemporary film and Japanese anime,
literature, comic books and illustrations.

Tony Oursler
http://oursler.net/

Moriko Mori
http://www.wdirewolff.com/Mariko.htm

Gary Hill
http://www.pixcentrix.co.uk/pomo/video/hill.htm

Takashi Murakami
http://www.kaikaikiki.co.jp/

Lee Bul
http://www.leebul.com/

Survival Research Laboratories
Producing the most dangerous shows on earth
http://www.srl.org/

not much left and I'm not getting over to Victoria, but...
Victoria Independent Film & Video Festival
February 1-10, 2002
http://www.vifvf.com/

"World War III will be a guerrilla information war,
with no division between military and civilian participation."
-Marshall Mcluhan