Lachlan Brown on Fri, 8 Feb 2002 21:44:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Of Burnished Gold

All,

One must be careful following a query
concerning the demographics of the
Association of Internet Researchers
([Air-l] Re: Outreach Working Group
Charge, with a minor tweak   Lachlan Brown)with a thread ([Air-l] Have you received something like this? )  on the so called
'Nigerian Scam'.

Instead of alienating West Africa,
and those who share an affinity with West Africa, or otherwise share an interest
in breaking stereotypes wherever they occur and however they are articulated, perhaps
you could address the issue of social
inclusion seriously. A way to do this
is to be reflexive and open about
membership.

 My question arising from many, many
years research in the field related to several ‘gaps’, or shall we simply say ‘a complete and utter lapses in scholarship’
in Internet Research, arose from reading an important misaddressed email in AoIR concerning ‘outreach’ strategies
highlighting the need for greater social inclusion.

What we get is endless wittering about
'The Nigerian Scam'.

What social literacies are represented
by the Association of Internet Researchers?
How are the industries of education and of
media and communications best served in
their need for informed scholarship and
advice concerning 'future markets'?

One way to understand these literacies
is to have a breakdown, even a rough guesstimate, of the demographics of AoIR,
which is, as far as I can see, a locus of
power in Internet and Scholarship.

The estimate or breakdown is important also
to my initial intervention 'Bring Me My Bow' etc (Blakes "Jerusalem' far from being a nationalist hymn is a deeply

of January, which raises ethical and
legal concerns a number of constituencies of
Internet. During the years use of Internet has, it seems, grown from cyberpunk in boystown to take a place in the middle of our communication and media lives. Users, so I hear, now include the extremely angry mothers
 constititency, the raging grannies against
technofascism, Street Kids against poor Internet Scholarship, not to mention the
'we know where you live' students against child abuse constituency, over the exploitation of innocents in the industry
and in education.

Please provide the information I requested.
I asked for a rough estimate, if hard
data is not available, on the demographics
of the Association of Internet Researchers.

[Air-l] Re: Outreach Working Group Charge, with a minor tweak   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] Subscribe FREE to Design Research News   Ken Friedman
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Cristian Berrio
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Adrian Higginbotham
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Gina Neff
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Steve Fox (NLG)
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   david silver
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Sean Cubitt
Down Sean, Down Boy.
[Air-l] Re: Lurking   Uwe Matzat
[Air-l] Redundancy Index: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #293 - 14 msgs   James Watt
[Air-l] Redundancy Index: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #293 - 14 msgs   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] Have you received something like this?   Steve Jones

BTW: 'The Nigerian Scam' is a perennial. I received a snail mail about it in 1991 in
Toronto at Between the Lines Press. It is
 annoying, but it is hardly the 'thread of
the moment'.

In Nettime 'the Nigerian Scam' appeared
as Nettimers began considering 'race and ethnicity'. It also appeared in a couple
of industry groups when the question of
'social inclusion' arose.

Lachlan Brown

Cultural Studies