Josephine Bosma on Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:49:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: [Nettime-bold] Nettime-Bold and You

dear me! and dear Scott

Major fuck up on my part! I took the first dec I saw for the last dec.
My appologies for that. It means I have to look back at the messages
more carefully to come back to your extremely punctual analyses of the
situation, but in general the moderated nettime and bold are not much
alike. Not just because there is no spam on the moderated version. It is
really not fair to say the messages that are missing don't make any
difference. Also there might be times when more messages are posted to
-l by mods without them bothering to send them to bold maybe?

The reason I say pay does not have anything to do with it is that the
last few years I have become a bit annoyed with this excuse, especially
from the nettime moderators. I don't say the following to boast, as in
general I don't care much about it, but I come from a background of
dutch squatters culture in which volunteer work is quite normal. The
exchange economy in real life so to speak. There is no reason whatsoever
to say that if something is wrong with your work or the result of your
voluntary work that you just could not do better because you do/did not
get paid. What you do you do because you believe it should be done (and
so do nettime mods I assume) and therefore it should also be done well.
Or am I mistaken? If you feel you can't do the work well because you do
not get paid for it then don't do it. You only create false hopes
otherwise.

I also believe the messages problem is a technical one. Or one that
needs a technical solution. If too many people post to the mod-insiders
adress, then maybe it is time these had a new adress. And that they do
not encourage anybody, also not ex-mods, to post to their adress.

*

respectfully,

*