Jonathan Lukens on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 21:29:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] re: Calin re: Bruce S. re: Viridian Note 00283

calin@euronet.nl wrote:

> 2. BS belongs - unlike many others - to a civilized part of the world that
> should protect itself from the uncivilized via some smart devices.

You mean like when William the Conqueror used those new "smart" saddles,
the ones with the stirrups, to take the throne from Harold; or when
those new "smart" boats- the Css Virginia and the Uss monitor went at
it? What's a smart device, really? I mean, I'm not very civilized, and I
want to be prepared if someone pulls that shit on me. If I take a plane
and fly it into a building have I invented a smart device? If I figure
out a way to take a mixture of charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter, and use
it to move little round things at people at high rates of speed is that
a smart device? Im not sure who's civilized, but maybe if I have enough
smart stuff the other guy will be so busy licking his wounds that I can
say I am and he isnt. Maybe that's what you're getting at with this
civilized/un bit, but Im not really sure how the technology is relevant
besides its affording an advantage to one of the parties involved. The
"smart" part doesnt matter.

> 3. Governments should enforce and support with hitech hardware the
> preternatural lust of humans to snitch on each other and to turn in potential
> suspects on basis of assumptions.

I dont really know about preternatural lust for snitching. I really
havent experienced lust that I would descibe as preternatural since I
was seventeen. The human animal is a social animal. It organizes into
groups. Groups exclude and include people. Before I get to know people I
define them according to assumptions. Im assuming youre an allright guy
since you hang out here. I might assume you werent if you hung out on
the 'I luv kicking cute fluffy bunny rabbits' listserv or something.
Assumptions work both ways: they define included and excluded. I dont
really see "smart" devices being used for exclusion any more than
inclusion. I dont really see grouping on the basis of assumption to be
good or bad by default, just human.

 I dont really see this idea of a global id or smart passport being
significant. Yeah, maybe passports could use an upgrade, but how much
does country of origin really mean? Is that really significant
information when you remove questions of international trade? Wont it
mean less tommorrow than it does today? Why is this ID going to keep me
from being suspected a terrorist? Whats going to keep an unknown
terrorist from being issued one? What if I have no criminal record and
Im issued one and then I go over to Europe on vacation and fly my plane
into big ben?

As far as the 'GI smartphone/ citizen's AV arrest', its a good idea in
that it egalitarianizes snitching- I mean why should the government have
the market on spying on its citizens? If there really was a sort of
verifying mechanism, the device could be used against crooked cops and
such just as well. But, where and how is the serious shit going to go
down? If someone in Central America is trying to hack in and shut down
the US power grid, how am I going to catch that on my vidphone? I just
dont know how much heavy stuff people are going to come across. And
unless they are anonomized, no one is going to use one, because theyll
be too afraid of getting sued if they falsely accuse someone. This is
just a high tech version of a crime reporting hotline, and how well do
those things do? That isnt a rhetorical question; I have no idea how
well they do. Obviously they arent like the sophisticated evidence
documenting mechanisms Mr. Sterling suggests. Who's going to carry these
things? People who have a predisposition to paranoia? Meek folk walking
through bad neighborhoods? The latter might be a better implementation,
but has more to do with day to day crime than terrorism. Seems to me
there would be too much noise to signal.

Jon,
Who should also be brought a beer immediately.

--
Jonathan Lukens

INFOPOLLEN
http://www.infopollen.net