calin on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:57:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Viridian Note 00283: Geeks and Spooks

Seemingly carried away by his (as usual) entertaining rhetorics, Bruce Sterling
makes a few irresponsible statements which - if they wouldn't be extending on
several paragraphs - could be seen as figments of his paradoxical imagination.
But this is not random, since he seems really infatuated with 3 convergent
ideas that look to me - shall I say it - very >Texan<. (A concept shaped by two
strong media instruments: a. the old and still powerfully suggestive >Dallas<
soap: b. the consistent pro-activism in the muddy matter of death-penalty.

And those ideas are:
1. GW Bush is a good guy (maybe he is - does not look so on TV).
2. BS belongs - unlike many others - to a civilized part of the world that
should protect itself from the uncivilized via some smart devices.
3. Governments should enforce and support with hitech hardware the
preternatural lust of humans to snitch on each other and to turn in potential
suspects on basis of assumptions.

It seems that old imperial arrogance (the comatose Roman Empire was also very
proud of its civilization while the barbarians were checking the gates)and the
always young and fresh utopia of the police state (where every one spies on
everybody - one can pick examples form recent history at will) are recurrent
stuffs in moments of distress.
Pretty weird though when somebody wants to support in that manner a free and
open political system and refers to Europe as a place where democracy (in the
shape of www and Linux) can still make some sense.

Calin Dan

Quoting Bruce Sterling <bruces@well.com>:

> When I predict that spooks are not to be trusted and
> will end up doing themselves big, ugly, scandalous harm,
> it's not that I don't trust the President.  On the
> contrary;  I come from Texas, I've been living under a
> Bush regime for years now.  He strolled off with the
> elections in Texas, nobody ever accused him of stealing
> them.  If he was some kind of malignant power-crazed
> lunatic, we'd know  all that by now.  I had a pretty good
> time in the years when George W. Bush was my Governor.
> Laura Bush is a librarian.  We novelists have very warm,
> affirmative feelings towards librarians.

[....]
> So maybe Europeans can think this issue through and
> take some useful and constructive steps, while the rest of
> us are busy killing evildoers.  Really, at this point, in
> all humility, we should seek the aid and counsel of our
> allies.  World Wide Web, that was Swiss, and Linux, that
> was Finnish; so if they think really hard and they make
> sure to pay no attention whatsoever to the British, maybe
> the Europeans could bring some fresh perspective to
> surveillance and cryptography.

[...]

> Well, my first suggestion would be crypto in
> passports.  Because passports suck.  It's time we dumped
> these ludicrously insecure and easily forgeable paper
> passports, and went for something a lot chippier.
>
> You know what I want?  I don't want a National ID
> Card.  I want a Global Coalition Visa.
[...]
> But what about all us bright, shiny, world-trading
> jet setters, huh?  There are thirty percent fewer Yankees
> in Europe this Christmas, and that is bad.  Let me pose
> the problem this way.   If I am going into a Japanese
> restaurant in Japan, I would rather like to be able to
> haul out some gizmo and flash it at my fellow civilians,
> and have these kindly people understand with a high degree
> of likelihood that I am not a mass murderer.  On the
> contrary, I am quite civilized, and I should be brought a
> beer immediately.
>
> A platinum VISA card and a five-hundred-dollar suit
> will almost do that, but those are too easy to forge and
> steal, plus they are not very democratic.   The UN should
> get together on this. We should have a high level summit
> about digital hardware support for  the crippled tourist
> economy.   Fear and ill treatment shut down tourism faster
> than anything short of open warfare.  That is bad for all
> of us.  Killing off tourism harms our civilization and
> impoverishes our cultures.   People in civilized states
> shouldn't routinely treat one another as criminal
> suspects.   I don't want to get done-over for three hours
> every time I get off a plane in London.   When I go to
> London, I go with empty suitcases.  I don't plan to stay,
> but I am better news for the London economy than a lot of
> the people who live there.
>
> They should know all that that *before* I get off the
> plane.  My arrival is excellent news for Britain, so I
> should be treated that way.   If this is a new kind of
> war, I don't want to be the evil guy hunkered down in the
> bunker; I want to fly with the boys from Air Assault.  I
> want one of those handy crypto-style Friend-or-Foe IDs.

[...]