Ivo Skoric on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:27:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Kostunica: ICTY compliance "when an Albanian is indicted"

So, this is what Kostunica wants seeking 'reciprocity' - arrest of
Albanian leaders. Well, that may actually happen. Obviously, since
KLA crimes are newer than those of Ratko Mladic, the cases may
not be prepared, yet. But I am sure that ICTY has in sight trying
Albanian war crime suspects in Kosovo, too. After all, Del Ponte
said that trying KLA suspects is indeed on ICTY agenda.
Therefore, I just hope that this Kostunica's rant will be kept on
record for the future reference. Because he is becoming notorious
with his desire to have war crimes suspects of all other ethnic
groups involved in the conflicts of Yugoslav succession (Croats,
Bosniaks, Albanians) tried before the Serbs, despite that the Serbs
are widely perceived as the earliest perpetrators. First, he wanted
Croats tried, and ICTY complied, and Croatia co-operated. Then, he
wanted Bosniaks tried, and ICTY complied, and Bosnia co-
operated. Now, he wants Albanians tried, and ICTY will likely
comply, and Kosovo administration will likely co-operate. He is
making Serbia look like the plaintiff in this case - which offends the
rest of the Balkan peoples who expected Serbia to be the
defendant. It looks so far as if ICTY is giving Kostunica a lot of
slack. And he continues pushing it. I am not sure how far that
could take either him or Serbia in relations with Serbia's neighbours
and with the rest of the world. But his arguments are looking
shakier and more unreasonably obstructionist as the time goes by.
ivo