Wayne Ashley on Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:21:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] [BAM New Media] Three New Media Installations for BAM's Next WaveFestival

To extend its long-standing interest in breaking down the boundaries
separating disciplinary genres, BAM created a unique artist-in-residence
program last year in conjunction with Lucent Technologies, which paired
three artists working in new media and communications technology with
scientists at Bell Labs. BAM is proud to share with you and your guest the
result of this synergy of art and science.  These projects have been
generously supported by The Rockefeller Foundation and the New York State
Council on the Arts.

We would love to have you and your guest join us as we discuss these
exciting projects with their creators on the dates listed below. Following
each discussion we will serve light refreshments, and you will have the
opportunity to view the installations.

Trace
Wednesday, November 28 at 8pm
Discussion with Paul Kaiser and Nicolas Tsingos
In a specially designed and sonically controlled room, audio scientist
Nicolas Tsingos and digital artist Paul Kaiser explore the disembodied
"traces" we leave within ourselves and in others, ranging across time and
distance. Discussion moderated by ABC News special correspondent Robert
Krulwich. The installation can be viewed from 6pm to 10pm.
Please RSVP to BAM Patron Services 718.636.4182 by Friday, November 23, to
reserve your seats.

Virtual Actor
Wednesday, December 5 at 8pm
Discussion with John Jesurun and Kit August
Theater director John Jesurun and Bell Labs researchers Kit August discuss
their collaborative efforts in producing Jesurun's multimedia performance
Snow. The piece deployed multi-screen video projections, four actors, and a
"Virtual Actor" robotic camera to investigate received assumptions about
point-of-view, narrative structure, privacy, and surveillance. Moderated by
Norman Frisch, Director of Performing Arts at Snug Harbor Cultural Center.
Please RSVP to BAM Patron Services 718.636.4182 by Friday, November 30, to
reserve your seats.

Listening Post
Wednesday, December 12 at 8pm
Discussion with Ben Rubin and Mark Hansen
What does the collective voice of the internet sound like?  Listening Post
gives voice to this vast, silent world, transforming collective online
activity and communication into a multi-layered sound installation.
Moderated by John Chambers of Bell Laboratories. The installation can be
viewed from 6pm to 10pm.
Please RSVP to BAM Patron Services 718.636.4182 by Friday, December 7, to
reserve your seats.

We look forward to greeting you at BAM as we move forward with another
exciting realm of art presentation.

Wayne Ashley
Wayne Ashley, Ph.D.
Manager of New Media