{ brad brace } on Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:23:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Call for Submissions (fwd)

The editors of the Amateur Computerist are planning an issue for Spring
2002 in memory of Michael Hauben. We plan to include tributes and memorial
pieces about Michael and his work. We welcome contributions from people
who knew Michael or who know his work. In addition work on the theme of
netizens is invited.

Michael is perhaps best known for his popularization of netizens. In
1993 he wrote:

     "Welcome to the 21st century. You are a Netizen, or a Net
     Citizen, and you exist as a citizen of the world thanks to
     the global connectivity that the Net makes possible. You
     consider everyone as your compatriot. You physically live in
     one country but you are in contact with much of the world
     via the global computer network.

     "The situation I describe is only a prediction of the future,
     but a large part of the necessary infrastructure currently
     exists...Every day more computers attach to the existing network
     and every new computer adds to the user base -- at least twenty
     five million people are interconnected today..."

     "We are seeing a revitalization of society. The frameworks are
     being redesigned from the bottom up. A new more democratic world
     is becoming possible."

Michael's original webpage is still accessible at:

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/

Please send inquiries or submissions to:

wrohler@mediaone.net     or     jrh@ais.org

The deadline for submissions is January 7, 2002.

For the Amateur Computerist,

Jay Hauben

/:b