Dan Sheetz on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:00:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Analog to Digital Dj mixes coded language...

The comparison between digital networks and the toilet networks seems quite
apt (some people refer to broadband connectivity as "big pipes").  Some
claim that the greatest invention in the history of humankind is the
organized sewage system.  Think of how badly Europe must have smelled in the
middle ages.  People just opened the window and dumped their chamber pots
out the window.  The horror!  If you've ever been in New York City on
garbage day, you know how stinky it can be with all the garbage piled up on
the curbs.  Imagine this as human waste.  Ouch.  I think it's safe to say
that modern urban life could not exist without flushable toilets.

The global network that we've built in the past 20 years or so may have an
equally profound effect on what it's like to be a human on Earth.  100 years
down the road, people with money may say "can you imagine... no network.
They just put stuff in boxes and sent it around the world!  The horror!".
Then again, people in "developing" nations might still be saying "finally, a
flushable toilet!".

Here's hoping that the future we are forging now will spread more evenly
than Gibson's.  Our ability to foster an equitable distribution of resources
is about 5 centuries behind our digital technology.  So much so, in fact,
that people are learning to look at the structure of network technology,
with it's packets and nodes and redundancy schemes, as a model for new
economic structures.  What phase of development are we in where the only
thing that shows us the way to justice is the shape of our own artifice?

Anyways, toilets were a big deal.  The digital network is a big deal.  The
toilet taught us nothing about sharing.  Hopefully the network will.

Dan Sheetz