christopherotto on Thu, 1 Nov 2001 05:13:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

I would present as an example of this is the extension of my piece
timeascolor by Brad Borevitz earlier this year.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~cotto1/timeascolor.html
http://www.onetwothree.net/art/somethingelse/

what i see as interesting in (client-side) net.art is that the text
and visuals of the artist are sent simultaneously and are inseperable from
the perspective of the viewer, possibly in the same way sasseure
visualized signified/signifier/sign as a card with two sides. very
different than seeing a painting and then reading the artist's sketchbook?

I have a short paper that extends this idea - email me personally if you
would like to read it.

christopher otto

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, McKenzie Wark wrote:

> Andreas writes,
>
> >i fully respect your examples as artistic/literary practices, but in what
> >way are jodi, mez, antiorp/nn, sondheim etc. >representatives of open
> >processes?... what you describe are machinic processes, yes, but the kinds
> >of collaborative practices that heico >idensen talks about (in the
> >hypertext world mainly) - i don't see them in your codework examples. is
> >artistic codework more authorial than open source programming?
>

> Well, isn't this a collaborative process, this discussion? Isn't
> nettime "collaborative filtering?" There's some limitations in what
> the examples given might uphold. Its not as if everything is in
> the text. I'm more interested in a new way of thinking about the
> practice of writing.
>
> Semiotics and structural linguistics have a lot to answer for. They
> created a concept of language as a homogemous plane, which then
> entered into relations with the world as something external.
>
> What's interesting about Guattari is the anti-linguistics in which
> one thinks of the speech act as an element in a heterogeneous,
> temporal series. It seems to me timely to think of some of the new
> writing practices in those terms.
>
> Hypertext had its roots firmly in a (post)structural linguistics,
> and it shows in the early works composed under its sign. All the
> action is in the 'text'. There's not a lot of thought about
> the hetereogeneous assemblages into which it might enter.

> #  more info: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
> #  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@bbs.thing.net

"christ"! (O), pher "ot to". . .