JSalloum on Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:32:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] article for the School of the Art Institute of Chicago faclty newsletter

‘everything and nothing’
or art and the politics of ‘war’

Let’s pay attention to language now. It’s getting us into a lot of trouble.
But, then again it always has been especially when we forget to recognize it.
And now that seems like an important thing to do. To question how things are
being said, how we are saying things, framing, conceptualizing, grasping, and
coming to terms with our lives as artists and citizens of this whole wide
world. So now, how do you position yourself in the midst of all this. Is your
relationship to your neighbours different? Has our role as artists changed?
If it has then we’re in more trouble than I thought. What I mean is that..
what makes us decide to have an agency in our work? an embracement of the
social sphere or an engagement with politics that would make others want to
do the same. Or what makes us want to run away from it all, maybe it’s the
same thing.

As artists we do pay attention to these things, language and relationships to
the social and political. I fell into the trap of believing that I understood
what that meant. Being identified as an Arab now has the same repercussions
as before except they are heightened. The repulsion and exoticism of ‘us’
still exists side by side, collapsing into each other and swallowing us with
it. We cannot just have an art exhibit without somehow having to relate it to
Sept. 11th. We are not allowed to,  it is the first or second question out of
the journalists’ mouths and they demand an answer, one that fits into a sound
bite, or is said in a way  that they can rewrite you as being one of ‘us’,
or one of ‘them’. So, how can this be used in a productive sense. Well, with
difficulty. In our recent little struggle with the Museum of Civilization
(MOC), in Hull, Quebec (across the river from our nation’s capital, Ottawa),
a few of us ‘arab’ artists (Rawi Hage, Laura Marks, and myself) found out
that a story has a life of it’s own whether true or false. And this is what
gets picked up on. On a recent Monday after a recent Tuesday the MOC
directorship postponed an exhibition of 26 Arab-Canadian artists that had
been in the works for 5 years. It was stated as an ‘indefinite postponement’
with the need to ‘revisit and review the content of the exhibition’ and to
provide a ‘broader context to the work’ following the events of Sept. 11th.
The MOC is the largest public museum in Canada and has very little experience
in working with living artists, one thing they always provide though, is a
didactic context. To make a long story short(er), we sent out an email letter
of protest that afternoon, by Tuesday over 200 responses were coming in from
around the world directed to the museum and our politicians, by Wednesday the
Prime Minister spoke up in our favour in the Parliament (again calling for
‘tolerance’ – as opposed to empathy), Thursday it had unanimous support in
the Senate, and by Friday the Minister of Culture had spoken up and the MOC
which is supposed to be an arms length institution reneged and reinstated the
exhibition as originally planned ‘due to political pressure’. With all
factors combined and snowballing, it became a national and international news
story (even my friends in Beirut and Chicago were able to catch it on CNN).
Well, the show is open, about 3,000 people came to the opening last night,
and the directors have not taken any responsibility for their actions and
avoided mentioning any of this like the plaque. They didn’t apologize nor
admit any error. They also never bothered to discuss anything with the
artists at any point in the debacle to try to resolve their ‘concerns’
before going public. At a time when public institutions need to show the most
leadership, this museum failed profoundly. Their need for ‘spin-doctoring’
and packaging of the artworks backfired and inflamed the sensitive content of
the works bringing the issues into a context of sensationalism, hysteria, and
(their) arrogance. In the current climate of suppression and repression of
any debate and dissention, discursive activities such that art can be, may be
one of the few domains left to us to express unpopular ideas, resistance, and
the complexities of our lives. We need to protect our right to be
self-inscribed. This is one arena that we should not give up on easily, this
cultural sphere, these domains of discursivity. We have struggled for this
space to call our own and it is one that we can still use to champion
difference and provide a means of contemplation that can counter the
'manufacturing of consensus’ that goes on around us.

-Jayce Salloum, 10/19/01