Paul St George on Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:57:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Anti-globalisation movements

There is some interesting and revealing conflation in this email. Economic
globalisation and the spread of democracy are not the same thing. The
problem is that in America they are increasingly looking like the same
thing. The rules that govern capitalism and the rules that govern
democracy are not the same. All the way through this email the words
capitalism and democracy are used as if they were synonyms.
We all have a big problem when some corporations have more money and power
than many governments. That problem is increased when an American
president acts for the corporations that paid for him rather than the
people who elected (sic) him.
The alternative? Take money out of the American election process. Then we
can have more faith that the elected will protect the rights of the many
against the wrongs of the few.

Paul St George

mailto:stgeorge@lgu.ac.uk
http://www.lgu.ac.uk/~stgeorge/