Ivo Skoric on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:36:03 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Attacker in bus crash identified as Croatian

I would love to see the original of that press report. This is a
translation. The original should be in German - it is Deutsche
Presse Agentur. I believe the translator got confused with the
difference between the word order in German sentence - compered
to an English sentence. So, the 'illegal Croatian' became a
'Croatian that illegally slit the bus driver's throat' - now, did anybody
ever heard of the legal throat-slitting? Perhaps, the next step may
be to introduce 'humanitarian throat-slitting' and maybe even turn it
into a campaign.

Also, I've read a CNN report in which there is a claim that the
foreigner (Croatian) had "Middle Eastern accent" - this is
prejudiced, ignorant, nonsense. My accent - and Croatian is my
native language - is very heavy and Americans usually confuse it
with Russian, Czech or German - but most of them would figure me
out as an Eastern European. Nobody ever thought I am Middle
Eastern. Now, if I took the box-cutter out of my backpack that
might have changed. But what then - are all males with box-cutters
now Middle Eastern by definition? And is the Middle Eastern
becoming a synonimous with terrorism? I am really curious what
were Dragan Igric's problems and why did he decide on such a
desperate act of copy-cat terrorism? Also, how many more of such
copy-cat acts could we expect?

Besides, as per the FBI description Dragan was practically the
same height and weight as I am, and of a similar age, plus
belonging to the same ethnic group, i.e. somebody who, perhaps,
looked very similar to me. So, I am leaving the box-cutter at home
from now on (I use box-cutter knife primarily as a tool in the
maintenance of my snowboard).

ivo