Axel Bruns on Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:37:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] M/C Call for Contributors: 'work' issue

                   M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture
                    <http://www.media-culture.org.au/>

                          Call for Contributors

The University of Queensland's award-winning journal of media and culture,
M/C, is looking for new contributors. M/C is a crossover journal between
the popular and the academic, and a blind- and peer-reviewed journal.

To see what M/C is all about, check out our Website, which contains all the
issues released so far, at <http://www.media-culture.org.au/>. To find
out how and in what format to contribute your work, visit
<http://www.media-culture.org.au/contribute.html>. We're also welcoming
submissions to our sister publication M/C Reviews, an ongoing series of
reviews of events in culture and the media. M/C Reviews is available at
<http://www.media-culture.org.au/reviews/>.

We are now accepting submissions for the following issue:

                'work' - article deadline: 29 October 2001
                  issue editors: Axel Bruns & Greg Hearn

In the bad old days, people lived to work: to produce enough food, to
make enough money just to get by was hard enough, and there was no time to
waste on the finer things in life. Things are so much better now -- or are
they? Do we really work to live now, doing our work only to sustain and
support our pursuits outside the workplace? Does the divide even apply any
more -- in the days of teleworking, flexitime, and plug'n'play computing
in the home office, where does work stop, and recreation start? What is
the future of the workplace if neither the location of that place nor the
activities of work can be pinned down with any accuracy? With the
inceasing deployment of media in workplaces, how are the culture and
practice of work affected? And what becomes of the worker, in both the
general and the specific meaning of the term: if everyone's an information
worker, does the working class become extinct (or is it simply pushed to
the geopolitical outskirts of the Western world)?

Perhaps these questions aren't even as recent as they appear to be.
Consider 'work', the noun: it describes both the activity and its outcome -
- so if you love (or hate) your work, do you mean the work you do or the
work you've created in doing your work (which in turn may indicate that
you love having finished your work and being ready to play)? And speaking
of creativity, what about the artwork: is it work, is it art, can it be
both? Where (in analogy to the work/play divide above) does work stop and
art begin (a question of significant legal implications, as recent cases
around the copyrighting of software as artworks have shown)?

So, get to work on these and other ideas. Articles on the past and future
of work and play, on individual works (of art, or otherwise), on the
concept of work itself, and other labours of love are gratefully accepted
for this issue of M/C. If they work for us (and our hard-working
referees), we'll publish them.

                   issue release date: 28 November 2001

                                                     Axel Bruns
                                                     Greg Hearn