Cabinet Magazine on Mon, 24 Sep 2001 05:59:30 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] <nettime> Cabinet magazine: lexicon of crisis

Cabinet magazine, a quarterly cultural magazine based in New York,
would like to invite the readers of Nettime to contribute to a
"lexicon of crisis" that we are currently compiling. Parts of this
lexicon will be printed in issue 5 of Cabinet magazine in December
2001, and a larger section will be placed online as an ongoing
project on Cabinet's website (http://www.immaterial.net/cabionet).
Entries will be credited, of course.

Each entry should define a specific word of your choosing that is
mobilized in moments of national crisis.  Examples are  "security,"
"border," "purity," "evil" or even "crisis"....Entries can be between
one sentence and 300 words (negotiable). You can address the history,
genealogy, and etymology of the term, its current (ab)uses,  and so
on. Raymond Williams's "Keywords" is one possible model. Although the
current situation is an obvious source, we would like the entries to
be part of of the standard vocabulary used in crises in general. We
are of course assuming that:

1. There is a changing but somewhat stable set of words that are
invoked when nation-states feel threatened.
2. The hidden connotations of this discourse need to be explored and clarified.

Entries for the print version need to be here by 9/30/01. Web entries
are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please reply to this address.

We look forward to receiving your words.

Thank you

Cabinet