Nmherman on Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:25:43 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Reply to Zizek/////////Findings of G2K subsequent to Herman

In a message dated 9/17/2001 8:14:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
john.armitage@unn.ac.uk writes:

>         (6) Any pop commentary, eked out by comparing movies to movies,
>  is weak in its response to civic events that require us to think through
>  the daily toll upon workers, families and communities. It is they who
>  bear the human capital sacrifice that calls for witness at the site of
>  WTC. Here the hidden injuries of modernity mark us all.
>
>          (7) It is a conceit of commentary that the world's integrity can
>  be filtered through its analysts and anchor persons whereas it is the
>  inalienable gift of everyone who lent a hand to anyone else in need. The
>  catastrophic events that opened this week also tore out of us an
>  unfinished prayer to anyone's god anywhere......It is in the silence of
>  those gods that we must learn to think and to hold together.
>
>  John O'Neill
>  Distinguished Research Professor of Sociology
>  227 Founders College,
>  York University, Toronto, M3J 1P3, Canada

This is exactly what I said we'd need:  Genius 2000, a seemingly miraculous
change in human life.

Publius

(yo soy Spartacus)