Carl Guderian on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:53:08 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> WTC-Surviversreport from Scott (Fwrded)

Diana Ozon wrote:

Jeezus!

Which financial services company (allegedly) regularly screws its
smaller customers, rapes other countries for a buck and apparently
abandons its low-level employees to die?

Turn your monitor upside down (and squint) to find the answer:

50J8 uvw437

Source:

http://www.costargroup.com/wtc/3WorldFinancialCenterTenants.pdf

Encyclopedia Brown, eat your heart out.

Saw Kissinger on CNN instead of in the dock where he belongs.

Disgusted,

Carl

> We work with the rest of the company from our center on the 24th floor,
> but we also send individual workers to the different floors to support the
> different departments that are scattered from the 5th floor all the way up
> to the 24th floor.  The Creative Service / Computer Graphics department
> had recently let go of all the temporary employees, which had left us
> rather understaffed.  I had been asked to cover one of the departments,
> Financial Services, on the 19th floor every Tuesday on a permanent basis,
> and this was my first day of starting that coverage.

> I went down to the 19th floor and found my work station so I could begin
> this first job.  But before I go on let me just say a few things about my
> job.  I'm not very proud of my job.  The work is easy enough for me and
> the pay is good enough to support my lifestyle in New York, but the
> business itself makes me less than comfortable.  Mainly, this is because
> the business puts profit before just about everything, well actually not
> just about, it is before everything.  I guess I feel a little guilty for
> knowing some of the things I know.  I've overheard conversations where
> bankers talk about where they can dump sour investments onto unknowing
> investors.  And I don't think those unknowing investors are their
> wealthier customers whose business they really value.  I've seen
> paragraphs that promote going into certain countries and states because
> they have lax environmental laws and thus the company can make more money
> since they won't have spend money hedging the damage they are causing to
> the earth.

> With that said about the business, I have to stress that the people I work
> with are all beautiful people.  Sure, we can all get on each other's
> nerves, but we'd never harm each other.  One woman, Janet, and I are at
> the exact opposite ends of some sort of personality spectrum, yet if I had
> the chance, I would save her life without question.  It's because I know
> we are all trying to do the best we can.  We all have dreams and fears and
> good intentions.  No one wants to harm anyone or pollute anything.  No one
> wants to abuse anyone or anything in order to make another dollar.  We
> basically do our jobs and don't think about all the other gears that are
> turning in the machinery.  We only see the immediate faces and not the far
> reaching effects that this business has on the rest of the community.
> And I believe everyone in the company up to the CEO lives and believes
> this.

> It was official, WTC1 was on fire, struck by an airplane.
> Then the building intercom clicked on and the fire warden made an
> announcement.  He told us that World Trade Center 1 had been hit by an
> airplane, but this did not affect the World Financial Center and that we
> were NOT to evacuate.  He then repeated that we weren't to evacuate.

First announcement...

> A man was standing in front of me on a cell phone and I asked him if we
> should evacuate.  He said he didn't know, but his family was downstairs so
> he was going to go there and check on them.  That made sense to me, he was
> leaving to collect his family.  The fire warden came back on the intercom
> again and repeated that we weren't to evacuate.

Second...

The next thing I knew,
> there was a shockwave, and someone was yelling, "Another plane, another
> plane hit."  At this point everyone was nervous and frankly there seemed
> to be less people around.  In fact, it seemed like all the managing
> directors were gone, and the vice presidents too.  It was just me and the
> analysts, the top brass had disappeared.

!

 I ended the
> call to my dad and called the center.  Winston answered the phone.  I
> could tell he was in distress.  He told me the phone was ringing off the
> hook.  He didn't know what to do.  I told him I wanted to evacuate even
> though they were telling us not to, which they announced yet a third time
> over the intercom.  He told me to come up to the center if I wanted and we
> ended out brief conversation.

And third

--
Happiness is the maximum agreement between reality and desire -- Joseph
Stalin